Plz help How do i clean out fry trap without losing fry

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Guppys34

Reaction score
So I have so fry which I managed to save and put them in the fry hatchery thing but it's looking a little mucky it's a flooting one but soon as I lift out water leaves it so how can I clean it without losing fry please help

You can use a length of airline tubing as a siphon tube. Because it is so narrow, water passes through it slower that normal siphon tubing so you won't suck the fry up, but it is still strong enough to suck up the mess. The easiest way to start the siphon is to fill the tubing with tap water then carry it over to the tank.

I think essjay means use a piece of airline that you normally use for an air pump to blow bubbles into the tank.

Yes, that is what I meant.

I have used this kind of tubing to clean fry tanks and it works well. They are much narrower than ordinary siphon tubing which means the water flow is slower. It is fast enough to suck up the mess but slow enough that it doesn't suck up fry unless you put the end right on top of a fry. Like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002563MW/?tag=ff0d01-20
You do have to start the water flowing either by sucking on the tube with the other end in the tank, or by filling the tube with tap water, then put one end in the tank then the other end in a bucket.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You can use a length of airline tubing as a siphon tube. Because it is so narrow, water passes through it slower that normal siphon tubing so you won't suck the fry up, but it is still strong enough to suck up the mess. The easiest way to start the siphon is to fill the tubing with tap water then carry it over to the tank.

i use a piece of rigid airline tubing connected to flexible airline tubing to syphon the bottom of my fry tanks, the rigid tubing gives you better control, i cut the rigid tubing about the same height as the tank, then a piece of flexible tubing down into a bucket

I agree that having a rigid tube at the tank end makes it much easier. I use a wine making siphon for my tanks, with a rigid tube at the tank end as it is more controllable (for me) over sand than a standard aquarium siphon. But I have not come across a rigid tube the same diameter as airline tubing?

Well guys I went for easy option I used a small cup and a tubberware box to put some tank water then just lifted fry hatchery and placed in on side till fry swam out done weekly tank clean water change gravel clean and cleaned fry hatchery and then put fry bk in once done but thanks for all replys had to go this route as my lfs wasn't open for me to some tubing

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back