Plumbing Advice For New Tank Setups

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BeckyCats

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello!
I will be finishing my basement over the next year or so and would really like to include plumbing that would make water changes easier. The basement is below-ground, so I know that pumps are necessary to get any draining water up to the sewer pipes. We are having a plumber come out soon to talk about putting in a bathroom, and while he is out here, I would like for him to also put in something for any future aquarium(s) I may put in. I am not sure if I want one very large aquarium or multiple smaller ones (or both!). I suppose I could just use the python hose like I do for the 55 gallon I have, but if there are built-in solutions that take care of themselves, I am interested in those.

I have tried to research this but have not come up with much that I understand. I have mostly either found people using technical language that assumes you already know what they are talking about, or places that advertise that they will design and maintain your aquarium system for you (which would be great, but I can't afford that). I think I have read that some systems are able to perform their own water changes or that there is a way to make sure your water doesn't overflow during a water change. Since I am starting from scratch here, I figure this is the time to think about it. Does anyone have any advise or thoughts on this? Thank you.

I'd think about using a sump tank if you want to makes water changes easier for multiple tanks. That way you only have to change the water in one tank. Check out you tube, there are lots of videos on different types, some involve drilling tanks others use plastic pipes. If you could get a drain put in that would be great, but maybe not possible in a basement.

Thank you. I will look into different sump types on youtube. I read about them but honestly didn't really understand what I was reading. I didn't think to look on youtube. Maybe actually seeing what they look like will help me understand.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back