Plecostomus Care

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

carflo647

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
hello today i will be talking to you about plecostomus care!
book.gif

welcomeani.gif

welcomeani.gif
to the Forum!

You are in the right place to ask about Pleco care and information as there are lot of members who have and care for plecos.

Enjoy the forum! 
smile.png

You will need a very big tank for a common plec; they can grow to a foot long, sometimes even a bit bigger. In real terms, you'd be looking at a minimum tank size of 4'x2'x2'.

If you can't get a tank that big, please don't get a common plec. These fish are often bought in ignorance by people who can't look after them properly (few people can) and end up living short, unhappy lives, along with the stunting and related deformities that go along with that (I have collection of pictures of fish that this has happened to, but I won't post them, I only keep them to scare people who won't listen, or say, 'fish only grow to the size of their tank').

It is extremely difficult to even give these sorts of fish away if they out grow your tank.

i know i know ! but im getting a 74 gallon on january 4th will this be big enough?
fish.gif

fish.gif

fish.gif

fish.gif

Depends on the dimensions. When you're talking about big fish like common plecs/oscars/gibbis/clown loaches and the like, actual measurements are of more importance than volume.

It's generally considered cruel to keep a fish in a tank that is less than twice the fish's length in width, or they can't turn around easily; especially important for the less flexible fish, like plecs.

Most 75 gallon tanks are, AFAIK, 4' long, 18"  from front to back and 2' in height; that's not really the right shape for a plec. A tank that was still 75 gallons, but 4' long, 2' from front to back and 18" in depth would be better, although still on the small side.

The minimum size tank I mentioned earlier (4'x2'x2') works out at 100g.

Personally, I wouldn't like to see a common in a 4'; they ought to have at least 5', IMO.

Ok then well this is a big decision for me and I'll have to spend more money!so what your saying is basicly a 100g would be better?

It would be, yes, although the 75 gallon would do for a year or so; certainly better than a 12 g, if you want to keep the plec :)

i dont realy know its my friend whos getting me it as a late christmas present he just told me it was going to be a 74 gallon.
santa.gif

ok then well ill get the 74 gallon and keep the pleco in there and hopefully next year or so ill get a 100g maybe even bigger.

oh yeah and one last question do you go reccomend used aquariums? because my friend told me that on ebay you can get loads of tanks practicly for FREE!

Second hand tanks are usually fine. You do want to see it full of water before you buy it and check it over carefully for chips and scratches though.

It's certainly true that big tanks go for relatively little money; not many people want tanks that big!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back