pleco plump with eggs what do I do

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

El chapo

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
One of my plecos are gravid ( I believe that's the term) and I'm not sure what to do with her or how it was caused

I'm pretty sure that with plecs the daddy takes care of the eggs. Collin_T can help, he knows more about plecos than I do. :)

If you post a picture of the fish we can check it to make sure it's a female, you can also check yourself. Most female suckermouth catfish don't have bristles on their face or pectoral (side) fins, whereas the males do have short hairs or bristles on the pectoral fins.

Female fish that are mature and fed well will develop eggs. There's nothing special about it. Have a male and female and feed them well and do regular water changes and gravel cleaning and they will breed if they want to.

The females lay eggs in a cave or hollow pipe and the males will guard the eggs and young for the first week or so.

Do nothing, If there is a male in the tank she will lay the eggs the male will fertilize them and look after them if there is no male she will reabsorb them.

Last edited:
If you post a picture of the fish we can check it to make sure it's a female, you can also check yourself. Most female suckermouth catfish don't have bristles on their face or pectoral (side) fins, whereas the males do have short hairs or bristles on the pectoral fins.

Female fish that are mature and fed well will develop eggs. There's nothing special about it. Have a male and female and feed them well and do regular water changes and gravel cleaning and they will breed if they want to.

The females lay eggs in a cave or hollow pipe and the males will guard the eggs and young for the first week or so.
https://ibb.co/89Rpcp1

It's a little baby, how big is it, about 4 inches long?
The fish will probably reach 12 inches or more in your tank and can get to 18 inches + depending on species. They don't mature until they are 2-3 years old and about 8 inches long.

If it has a fat stomach it has either eaten a lot or has bloat, most likely fat if it's eating well.

Make sure there is some driftwood in the tank for the fish to graze on, and feed it some plant matter each day or every couple of days. Try to encourage algae to grow on the glass.

Do regular gravel cleaning to remove the poop it produces. They poop a lot.

It's a little baby, how big is it, about 4 inches long?
The fish will probably reach 12 inches or more in your tank and can get to 18 inches + depending on species. They don't mature until they are 2-3 years old and about 8 inches long.

If it has a fat stomach it has either eaten a lot or has bloat, most likely fat if it's eating well.

Make sure there is some driftwood in the tank for the fish to graze on, and feed it some plant matter each day or every couple of days. Try to encourage algae to grow on the glass.

Do regular gravel cleaning to remove the poop it produces. They poop a lot.
She's 6 or 7 inches and mature as far as I know

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back