Pleco is too big!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Christina38

Reaction score
Hello! I need some advice.. My pleco is much too large for my 35 gallon tank (7 inches to be exact...) and is getting aggressive towards my other fish! Her bio-load is also getting to be way to much for my filter. I have had her for about 3 1/2 years now and i hate yo give her up.. But i just cant handle the size and its about her quality of life. Im thinking of trading her for another fish? Is this a good idea? Thank you so much! (And sorry this is so much to read lol i just want to give all the information!)

You could trade her for a more suitable fish, that sounds like a good idea. If you don't want to do that, you could give her to a LFS (if they allow fish donations), or sell her.

You could trade her for a more suitable fish, that sounds like a good idea. If you don't want to do that, you could give her to a LFS (if they allow fish donations), or sell her.
I would like to trade her but i cant seem to find a site or group to do so. Do you have any recommendations? (My LFS does not take care of their fish so i don't feel that is a good option but selling would be a good idea ☺)

Are there any fishkeeping associations close to you? For example, I've got Northwest Arkansas Aquarium Society, with a bit of research I found Boston Aquarium Society, Greater Seattle Aquarium Society, and others in the US, along with assorted ones for Australia, NZ, Canada, and the UK.
You can also check Facebook for groups close to you and advertise her there.
If you'd like, you could put up an ad on Craigslist, but you can't guarantee how many people with bowls would ask for her.

Are there any fishkeeping associations close to you? For example, I've got Northwest Arkansas Aquarium Society, with a bit of research I found Boston Aquarium Society, Greater Seattle Aquarium Society, and others in the US, along with assorted ones for Australia, NZ, Canada, and the UK.
You can also check Facebook for groups close to you and advertise her there.
If you'd like, you could put up an ad on Craigslist, but you can't guarantee how many people with bowls would ask for her.
I have found 2 fishkeeping associations fairly close to my area (about 30 mins to an hour out each.) I also found a few groups on facebook that i have now joined. I just posted about my situation :). Thank you so much for your help! I hope i can find her a new home ASAP.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back