Pleco Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BaylorPerez

Fishaholic
Reaction score
EDIT*****
" if this needs to be moved to the Catfish section/Bottomdwellers section please let me know"

Question on the type of plecos and On the one i currently have.

1st Question
What would be a good Food source for the Common Pleco
i have Algae wafers currently but i feel as i wont be able to feed him fully.

2nd Question. 
As well as food, does the Common nibble on the Driftwood that it also uses for cover?

3rd question.
For a 20Gallon tank i am looking at a Clown Pleco to be used with it.
Since i have Other Catfish, would this be a possible thing?

4th. Question 

Since i have my Common put in with my Cichlids, what plants ( ornaments ) should i use to make more Hiding places for these fish. 
I was thinking of adding a different type of Driftwood but i dont know any other types that would be Benefical to my tank.

and last question

When it comes to fish foods ( Specifically for bottom dwellers such as Corydoras, Loaches, Plecos Etc ) is it mainly Protein based foods we want to add for them to eat, or is it ok for them to be eating any food ( as long as it is a Protein Supplement food ) 

I feed mine
Omega One Veggie Rounds
Hikari Algae Wafers
Kens veggie sticks.
Blood worm
Brine shrimp
Every now and again a tiny bit of OX heart
New Life Spectrum Thera Plus pellets.

And they need fresh veggies.
This is a list of vegetables and fruit that are popular with most plecs.

Zucchini/Courgette
    Cucumber
    Peas (deshelled)
    Sweet Potato
    Green Beans
    Melon/Melon rind

Aubergine/Egg plant
    Avocado
    Broad Beans
    Broccoli/Stalk
    Butternut Squash+ other squash
    Capsicum/Bell pepper(not the hot ones)
    Cauliflower/Stalk
    Carrot
    Coconut
    Grapes
    Kale/Collard Greens
    Kiwi Fruit
    Lettuce
    Lima Beans
    Mango
    Mushroom (common plecs and goldspots love mushroom)let it float,they will reach it.
    Papaya
    Potato
    Pumpkin
    Spinach
    Sprouts
    Swede
    Tomato
    Yam

BaylorPerez said:
2nd Question. 
As well as food, does the Common nibble on the Driftwood that it also uses for cover?
Commons aren't wood eaters; although they will chew on it (and enjoy doing so!) they don't need it.

3rd question.
For a 20Gallon tank i am looking at a Clown Pleco to be used with it.
Since i have Other Catfish, would this be a possible thing?
Depends what 'other catfish' you mean, but my clown plec has lived happily with corydoras, zebra loaches and bristlenoses with no issues.

4th. Question 

Since i have my Common put in with my Cichlids, what plants ( ornaments ) should i use to make more Hiding places for these fish. 
I was thinking of adding a different type of Driftwood but i dont know any other types that would be Benefical to my tank.
I believe you have African/rift Valley cichlids? They'll probably rip up plants, but you can try anubias and Java fern, as they're tough and taste bitter (allegedly; I haven't tried them myself
wink.png
). Anything you can make caves out of will do. Tufa/volcanic rock is the normal choice for Rift Valley tanks, but you'd need to add some smoother stones (slate perhaps) or wood as well, as plecs prefer smooth surfaces to 'stick' to, and tufa is very rough in texture.

and last question

When it comes to fish foods ( Specifically for bottom dwellers such as Corydoras, Loaches, Plecos Etc ) is it mainly Protein based foods we want to add for them to eat, or is it ok for them to be eating any food ( as long as it is a Protein Supplement food )
You don't need to worry too much about this really; any food will do, just aim more towards meaty type foods for the corydoras and loaches and vegetable based for the plecs. But it won't harm them to eat other foods
smile.png

would Mealworms be a good source of food for Corys then? since its a meat based worm like Blooworms?

****** with lettuce should i allow it to float in the tank for the Pleco or blanch it til it sinks

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back