Pleco Baby ( Fry )

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BaylorPerez

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So today i had bought 2 New Plecos, both for my 40G, As one wont get bigger than the other.

My question is what is a good way to take care of a albino BN pleco and a Albino Royal pleco. As food, water conditions and tank mates to not be to hostile to them.

Current tank mates
6 Corydoras Catfish ( albino )
4 BlackSkirt Tetras ( Albinos )
and 2 Amano Shrimp ( 2 Inches long so far )

You had better hope that one is male and one female, or both female.  If they are both male, you will be dealing with some aggression (to the point of death, potentially) when they reach sexual maturity.

thats what i am hoping to not happen, eventually i will be able to hope to sex them both. but as they are both very very tiny, i wont be able to tell if they have the spike underneath them 

Have you sorted out your water quality issues?

I feed mine
Omega One Veggie Rounds
Hikari Algae Wafers
Kens veggie sticks.
Blood worm
Brine shrimp
Every now and again a tiny bit of OX heart
New Life Spectrum Thera Plus pellets.

And they need fresh veggies.
This is a list of vegetables and fruit that are popular with most plecs.

Zucchini/Courgette
    Cucumber
    Peas (deshelled)
    Sweet Potato
    Green Beans
    Melon/Melon rind

Aubergine/Egg plant
    Avocado
    Broad Beans
    Broccoli/Stalk
    Butternut Squash+ other squash
    Capsicum/Bell pepper(not the hot ones)
    Cauliflower/Stalk
    Carrot
    Coconut
    Grapes
    Kale/Collard Greens
    Kiwi Fruit
    Lettuce
    Lima Beans
    Mango
    Mushroom (common plecs and goldspots love mushroom)let it float,they will reach it.
    Papaya
    Potato
    Pumpkin
    Spinach
    Sprouts
    Swede
    Tomato
    Yam

for fry plecos, would it be good to do smaller pieces of these, or just do the whole thing and after a couple hours take it out

You don't have fry plecos if you bought them from the LFS, you have juvies.  Fry are basically nothing more than a head and tail.  True 'fry' plecos need access to their parents' detritus to get the necessary microfauna into their digestive systems.  Fry in this condition would not be for sale.  Yours are likely far bigger than that.  Juvies will 'rasp' their food just as adults do.  But, since they are small, they won't need huge amounts of any of the foods Nick referenced.  And that stuff needs to be removed after a day or two if uneaten.

the size of them are maybe 3 centimeters ( very tiny ) 

BaylorPerez said:
the size of them are maybe 3 centimeters ( very tiny ) 

Yes.  Those would be 'juveniles' not fry.  Fry would still be protected by their father in or near his cave.  They are now free swimming and capable of living on their own.  

either way, is there any specifc way to feed the juvis?

is there any specifc way to feed the juvis?
No, Just feed them like you do the adults.

Also, i am curious as i was told they were omnivores. is that true? or is it that they sometimes eat small worms like BloodWorms

with that pleco, i had sold it once the scales( color ) came back, got 15 for it. so yea, instead of having a pleco that is able to get 1-2Ft long i have 2 that can get to 6-8 inches long

Unless one is a male and the other a female, you are still in store for some drama in the tank.

true

Only issue is to sex a albino BN and a regular Bn

As they are really small still so i cannot see the bristles if they have any 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back