Plec Caves

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mjsgonefishing

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
A quick question ! I've noticed lots of people use terracotta pots for caves for plecos to get into
My question is ? Could I use mugs if I buried them in the sand to disguise them ??

most plecs (I think I've read another post by you that mentioned BN plecs? have I got that right?) like to hide under things so they will dig out hollows under wood or other decor. You can buy resin 'tunnels' which are designed for things like plecs to live in. You could try terracotta pots but I suspect they won't use them. My BN has hollowed out a space under my bogwood and he's created a cave like enviroment under there. This seems to be a thing with BN's ... they seem to prefer closed in cavelike area's and so pots/mugs etc might be a bit too large and exposed :)

my large bn pleco rescapes my sand substrate to his liking...he often hides upside down under a large pc of dritwood.  I recently built a large two story "cave" out of pieces of flagstone and rocks--all siliconed together.   Here in this pic you can see the BN relaxing on the flagstone.

IMG_2231-vi.jpg

Natural items as others have mentioned do look more "natural" but artificial items are OK if they are safe.  Terracotta, being nothing but fired clay, is OK to use.  The problem likely with mugs would be other additives, paint/coatings, etc.  One would assume these wouldnot leech out if the mug is glazed, but one never knows.  Some people use PVC tubes.  I still think a natural wood or stone design works best.

Modern, dishwasher safe, mugs would be fine; I have a friend who used to grow the plants in her goldfish tank in china cups, to stop the goldies digging them up (it actually looked quite cute!), but I think plecs would prefer more natural caves to hide in :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back