Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Please identify these rasboras?

Discussion in 'Cyprinids, Characins and Atherinids' started by Carly92, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Carly92

Carly92 New Member

Bought these guys at a lfs as harlequin rasbora, is that what they are? If so will they color up as they get older?
    Thank you

Attached Files:

2. fozziebear

fozziebear Member

it's hard to tell as the fish look young and very thin, they need feeding up, and need time to colour up, could be hengeli, espei, or heteromorpha, couldn't say which right now.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Carly92

Carly92 New Member

Ok thanks. They are very thin, i will give them some time and lots of good food and see how they go.

4. Byron

Byron Member

The shape of the black patch is the Harlequin, Trigonostigma heteromorpha.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. fozziebear

fozziebear Member

i would be hesitant to give that as a identification just because the fish are so stressed and not fed well, the propper colouration can take a while to come out on these fish, my initial thought was Hets too, but the elongation on the thinnest edge of the black patch is throwing me off because mine do not have anywhere near that same shape, would be interesting to see some pictures of them settled in.

6. Byron

Byron Member

I agree on the colouration and general appearance, but the black patch is distinctive. One might expect such a marking to become more distinctive and larger post-stress, but not the opposite, and the width and shape now clearly visible is of the T. heteromorpha. Photos below of the three species will illustrate.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. fozziebear

fozziebear Member

my thinking was they could be hengeli but the orange colouration has dropped out, they also look quite young, but my initial thought was Hets.

8. Carly92

Carly92 New Member

I will definately update once they settle in and put some weight on, i just went and got 5 more from the same place, i thought a group of at least 10 would help them feel more comfortable. I will get 5 or 10 more once i know exactly what they are.

9. Carly92

Carly92 New Member

Looking a little better already. I think they may be harlequins.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Carly92

Carly92 New Member

There is one that is thinner than the rest and his black patch is a little different and he hangs out on his own, i think he may be a hengeli mixed in with the harleys but i guess we will see as they marure.

11. NickAu

NickAu Member
    Tank of the Month Winner!

The fish in the second photo is sick, I dont know whats wrong with it but I had a similar thing happen with a Harlequin Rasbora and it died, shortly after I lost another then another in the end 14 out of 15 died.

12. Carly92

Carly92 New Member

Oh no sorry to hear, they really dont look great do they? But they are acting fairly normal so hopefully they will pull through. Normally my lfs has really healthy fish, these guys are the worst i have seen, i thought they wer just young but honestly they look starved. Poor buggas

13. fozziebear

fozziebear Member

Some TLC should do wonders with these guys, i don't think they are too far gone by any means, i have had rasboras become emaciated and oddly shaped in the past and if they don't react to regular feeding it is really a death sentence, usually it only affected 1 of my group though and not the rest of the fish.

14. Carly92

Carly92 New Member

Thank you for your replies, very much appreciated. They are definitely looking much better and no deaths or concerning behavior yet. I will update in a couple of weeks when they have had time to come good.