Please Id These Plants

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Minstrel

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Please could someone ID my plants, these are the plants that seem to be doing the best in my tank and flourishing;

This is the tip of the following plant, it is actually growing out of my tank, it was about 6 inches big when I got it about a week ago!!!
DSCN0670.jpg

DSCN0671.jpg

This one will be the next to grow out of the tank it has a new shoot at the very top
DSCN0672.jpg

This one seems to be doing rather well, are the white "stringy" things new growths?
DSCN0673.jpg

What is this and the brownish thing hanging off??
DSCN0675.jpg

someone correct me if im wrong but i think the one with the white growths off it is moneywort and there new plants / roots
one of the ones growing out the tank is a lilly of some sort and thats its flower (i think)

The white and green plant looks like devils ivy or Syngonium species, it's not a tre aqautic plant but people ahve grown it for years with the stem/ roots in a jar/ bottle of water and the remainder of the plant trailing out over the ledge or what ever the containter is sitting on.

The other plant with the rounded leaves and developing roots under the leaves looks like a type of , awe #41#### I had the name and now it escapes me but I am pretty sure it starts with c.

As for the last plant it looks like wisteria, or water sprite which are true aquatics.

Please could someone ID my plants, these are the plants that seem to be doing the best in my tank and flourishing;

This is the tip of the following plant, it is actually growing out of my tank, it was about 6 inches big when I got it about a week ago!!!
DSCN0670.jpg

DSCN0671.jpg

This one will be the next to grow out of the tank it has a new shoot at the very top
DSCN0672.jpg

This one seems to be doing rather well, are the white "stringy" things new growths?
DSCN0673.jpg

What is this and the brownish thing hanging off??
DSCN0675.jpg

The light green with white fluffy growth is the very popular Hydrocotyle leucocephala or Brazilian Pennywort 100%.
I love this plant and have just placed one in a new tank I decorated. This is one of the faster growing plants I have ever seen. I have seen it grow 1.8cm in just 2 days! They grow like crazy in almost every water condition and are hardy survivors. If it is planted in the substrate and has good light, it will grow even faster. In a few weeks you can expect it to grow out right out of the water. It is a natural climber and will attach itself to the edges of your tank or float over the surface. It is ideal for small or newborn fish to hide. Don't worry, it is very easy to trim back as almost nothing you do to it will kill it.

The stalk with the one leave at the top, I have no idea. It looks like a type of Hygrophila (possibly Corymbosa) some go reddish under stronger light.

Finally the brown stringy things look just like the new shoots of Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus) which I think I can see some in the picture well covered in black spots :nod:

I recomend you google pics of these species to confirm all this thou... I may be wrong. Good Luck! :good:

Sorry to repost these huge photos again, but easiest to ID them ...

DSCN0670.jpg

This looks like some type of crypt, except for the way it's growing. I have my doubts it's aquatic.
DSCN0671.jpg

This one will be the next to grow out of the tank it has a new shoot at the very top It's for sure not aquatic. It's an arrowhead plant. I'd have to look up the Latin name, but it should come outta there.
DSCN0672.jpg

This one seems to be doing rather well, are the white "stringy" things new growths? As stated, pennywort or moneywort. I've got lots.
DSCN0673.jpg

What is this and the brownish thing hanging off?? Java fern, with roots trailing off with a 'baby' attached. Water wisteria behind it.
DSCN0675.jpg

Sorry to repost these huge photos again, but easiest to ID them ...

DSCN0670.jpg

This looks like some type of crypt, except for the way it's growing. I have my doubts it's aquatic.
DSCN0671.jpg

This one will be the next to grow out of the tank it has a new shoot at the very top It's for sure not aquatic. It's an arrowhead plant. I'd have to look up the Latin name, but it should come outta there.
DSCN0672.jpg

This one seems to be doing rather well, are the white "stringy" things new growths? As stated, pennywort or moneywort. I've got lots.
DSCN0673.jpg

What is this and the brownish thing hanging off?? Java fern, with roots trailing off with a 'baby' attached. Water wisteria behind it.
DSCN0675.jpg

Edit: There's some kind of fern-looking plant on the lower right of the bottom photo that's probably not aquatic either. Where are you getting these?

Most reactions

Back