Please Help With My Betta!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

KruseZoo

Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon, heated, filtered tank that is divided for two bettas. One male one female. Last night my mom filled the tank up because the water was running low( have had the tank for about 6 months). I wasn't home so I couldn't tell her that she wasn't supposed to fill it up all the way because the fish could easily jump the divider. I woke up this morning and found my male betta on the female side. I was horrified and looked for damage on the female, but there is none! The male is completely shredded. We knew that she had been an aggresive female, but not to this point! He used to be a beautiful veilteil, but now his fins are barely there. I can't go get anything because we are having a blizzard at the moment. I don't know what to do! Please help!

Here is some pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90428002@N03/

He's not that bad; I've seen much worse!

Just make sure you keep the water in tip top condition (so test your water regularly and keep up your water changes) and he should recover with no problems.

Keep an eye out for secondary infections, like fungus or fin rot though; if the fins start to look white or red (hard to tell on a red fish, I know!) or fluffy on the edges, you'd need to treat that with a medicine.

I know it seems scary, but he could be in much worse shape! He should recover just fine, if you have any aquarium salt, that will help, but if not, just make sure his water stays very clean, make sure he's got a good amount of oxygen in the water, even though bettas don't need as much as other fish, it will still help his fins heal. And like fluttermoth said, keep an eye out for any white or puffiness on his fins. What a snippy little thing she is ;)

Do you have any aquarium salt? You can also use sea salt or even non-iodised table salt that you have in your pantry. That and maybe Indian almond leaf is all I would recommend. He's really not too bad, you just have to do what's been mentioned - keep the water pristine until you can add in some salt and maybe the Indian almond leaf. I wouldn't recommend adding in medications, leave those for if he ever actually GETS an infection. The salt is fantastic for prevention and treatment.

I know a bunch of aquarium keepers say that bettafix will damage your betta's labyrinth organ, but that isn't completely true yet. I have been using bettafix and it's helped a lot. As long as you follow the dosage directions correctly and accurately, it should be fine. And, aquarium salt should help. When using bettafix, try t increase the oxygenation level a bit.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back