Please help old betta "Finny"

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Bettafriend

Reaction score
20170121_122945.jpg
20170121_114655.jpg

Finny is 18-24 months old.. Lives in heated, filtered, cycled, ten gallon by himself. Body colors faded from dark blue to "blotchy" light and dark blue pattern fast ( over past two weeks since he badly tore dorsal fin on some ornament. His water parameters are, and have been pristine for at least six months. 0 ammonia,0 nitrites ,20ppm nitrates 79°. 50% water change once per week. Completed course of melafix after dorsal fin torn.. Color still fading. LFS without even seeing pics confidently recommended powerful antibiotics? I asked "why?" what am I gonna be treating the poor guy for? Any "specific" ailment I might research before putting him through all that? No answer.. So many LFS'S are terrible ( Finny .. Other than blotchy color change on body is "fine." still jumping out of water to strike food.. Still swimming beautifully.. Blowing bubbles.. Etc.. No velvet type speckle/particles. No evidence of fungus.. Just same old Finny ) but then there's this new blotchy color change issue ( any experienced ideas.. Please.. I want to medicate if the poor guy needs it. But I'll just keep using the aquarium salt I started the other day if not.. Adding pics showing the recent "blotchy" condition

Are the blotchy patterns raised in any way?
If they're not, it looks like he may just be a marble betta. Here is a journal that someone made that showcases a betta's colour change.

If they're not, it looks like he may just be a marble betta. Here is a journal that someone made that showcases a betta's colour change.
Thank you for quick reponse. No. Blotchy patterns on body are not raised in any way.. Though, as I mentioned, these changes "did" occur pretty quickly? Just in last 2 or three weeks. Until then his body was mainly all blue. Funny. Until about 8 months ago, he was mostly "green"

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1477370076069.jpg
    FB_IMG_1477370076069.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 140
Btw. Marble "is" the direction I was leaning. It's been the "only" and closest explanation I've found on all the forums over last couple weeks. I'll keep a close eye on him.. But ultimately think you're probably right on.. Thanks again for confirming my suspicion. Very relieving to think hes not sick. Im sure you can relate.

No worries, and yeah, I can relate. He's a gorgeous betta, by the way. c:

No worries, and yeah, I can relate. He's a gorgeous betta, by the way. c:
Thank you for quick reponse. No. Blotchy patterns on body are not raised in any way.. Though, as I mentioned, these changes "did" occur pretty quickly? Just in last 2 or three weeks. Until then his body was mainly all blue. Funny. Until about 8 months ago, he was mostly "green"

Four days now. Water parameters all perfect for many months. In heated, filtered ten gallon by himself. Still eating normal and swimming. Though less active than normal. Bulge on "left" side of body? Slight protrusion of scales over area of bulge, but nowhere else. On antibiotic "Kanaflex" four days. Condition unchanged. Adding pics. Please help asap. Is he in pain? ( :posted this past text and pix.. Don't know how to navigate this forum well at all. But finny needs help bad. Any suggestions so much appreciated

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back