Please Help! Fighting Fish And Molly Fighting!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hello32

Reaction score
Ok so, today we recently bought a black molly, its fairly size, and is jetblack
In the tank we have 6 glass cat fish, 1 Rusty pleco, 1 fighting fish(male), and 2 other mollies which are small.

Petsathome said the molly would be perfectly happy with the fighting fish, and said they go well..
Now the fighting fish is attacking the molly. (I think its because of its size, and simillar like fins?)

I've seprated them with a net for now, but please help/give advice...

Heres a pic: (Blurry - they were going to fast)

2vl6xpu.jpg

Overall wouldn't mix much with bettas/fighting fish. They have a habit of having a go at other fish. So yea, There not the best of mixes.

Do you know if this is a male molly? Check the anal fins and the size of the dorsal. If the anal fins are more rounded triangles and the dorsal is short, it very well could be a female. Otherwise, you probably have a male which is causing the issue. Personally, I keep my betta in individual tanks, except for one who rather likes other fish. He is an exception though. My point is that generally male betta fish do not do well with any other fish, particularly male species with longer fins. The best thing you can do is move the betta to a five gallon where he would be by himself, or by returning the new molly.

Ok, I will try that.
I do have a spare tank, but its not set up..
Will they be safe for tonight?

probably the molly is male and thinks the beta is as well.. showing aggression..for mating reasons etc etc.. if they are not causing wounds onto each other then you don't need to worry about it for the time being, but start looking for another set up for the beta or something.

In my experience, fighters' temperaments vary much more than any other species that I've kept. Some fighters are soppy as a sack of spaniels, others are like hell-in-water. By the sound of it, yours is happy with most fish, but has taken a dislike to the molly, so I would personally take the molly back.

My first fighter was part of a community, and didn't take a dislike to anything. A subsequent one flared at everything.

IMHO, it's too much of a generalisation to say "Don't Mix Fighters"

I once had a molly that killed everything he could catch, including his mate on the way home from the LFS! 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back