Platys

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Kerryjoy

Reaction score
hello
I have got 1 male platy and 4 female platys.
The male is happy with 3 of the females, but chases and bullies one of the females, she canā€™t even swim around anymore and stays on top of the filter out of the way Only coming out to eat until she is chased off!
I had 3 female platys, but I brought the 4th one recently as I thought would help and keep the male
Busy, but has made no difference!
100% the 4 are all females. I find this really weird behaviour .... any ideas please? I think I need to remove the male and take him to a pet shop? Kerry

Last edited:
I don't know if this is applicable, but I have many Swordtails and often males are very late maturing and you'd swear they were young adult females...but then suddenly they slowly begin developing their gonopodium and in this case the swordtail. Male Swordtails will chase other males to assert their dominance over the 'colony'... I wonder if it's the same for Platies?
Perhaps you need to re-home either the male or the 'female' being chased.

if you can post a picture of the platy being bullied, we can make sure it's a girl. As mentioned by AbbeysDad, young male livebearers can resemble females. The behaviour you mention is typical of a dominant male picking on a smaller male.

If it is indeed a female that is being picked on, then the male just doesn't like her. Fish are like all animals, they like some things and dislike others. You might just have a female that your current male dislikes. Maybe she reminds him of his sister or mum :)

If you want a group of platies you can keep females only. you get young for the first 6 months and then no more babies unless you add another male. :)

hello
I have got 1 male platy and 4 female platys.
The male is happy with 3 of the females, but chases and bullies one of the females, she canā€™t even swim around anymore and stays on top of the filter out of the way Only coming out to eat until she is chased off!
I had 3 female platys, but I brought the 4th one recently as I thought would help and keep the male
Busy, but has made no difference!
100% the 4 are all females. I find this really weird behaviour .... any ideas please? I think I need to remove the male and take him to a pet shop? Kerry
Im Pretty Sure Its Because U Bought The Other Female Not At The Same Time I Think Its That Reason Because I Have The Same Reason In My Tank,I Have 4 Platys I bought 2 at a different time and the male will chase the other male and female And be very dominant with his female mate .

Most reactions

Back