Platys, Platys, Swordtails

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

matchstickgeezer

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all.....

Just a quick question...... In my tank I now have 2 sunset wag platys, 2 tuxedo platies (but one is ALL blue), a pineapple swordtail, and a red swordtail.

6 Fish.... all are female except one sunset wag platy and the red swordtail.

What I want to know is will these fish likely breed with each other, or will the males only most likely stick to their own species?

Thanks

the platys might cross breed depending on the colouring! my platys i once had even tried it with mollies of the same size! they are horny little buggers lol :lol:
it doubt either of the platys would try it with the swordtails though

the platys might cross breed depending on the colouring! my platys i once had even tried it with mollies of the same size! they are horny little buggers lol :lol:
it doubt either of the platys would try it with the swordtails though

Thanks for the info... can anyone else also let me know more? I know that Swords and Platys can mate, but Im not really sure I want that to happen.

But can my different platys all breed with the sunset wag.

hi,
platys and sword tails can and will breed with each other.
colour makes no difference to any livebearer.
because they can breed with each other you have a good ratio.
all the best donna :good: .

hi,
platys and sword tails can and will breed with each other.
colour makes no difference to any livebearer.
because they can breed with each other you have a good ratio.
all the best donna :good: .

Thanks again Donna :)

I was hoping that 2 males & 4 females would be a better ratio than 3/3.

The only thing is my male Swordtail only has ONE EYE, so he cant really chase the girls around much as he just loses them if they swim to his left!!

The only thing is my male Swordtail only has ONE EYE, so he cant really chase the girls around much as he just loses them if they swim to his left!!
ah bless him. :)

ah bless him. :)

Now if he only had one fin I could understand why he couldn't chase the girls :lol: but with only one eye he'd not have to let them 'blindside' him :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back