Platys Always Hiding?

CrazyAirborne

Fish Herder
Reaction score
So my swordtail has always ruled the 20g tank, and I thought the other male and all the females were just staying out of his way, so after a few months of never really seeing the other fish, I put the swordtail in my main tank(about 3 weeks ago). this didnt really help anything in the smaller tank. All my water stats are perfect, and this tank has been up and running for months now. i do weekly 40%+ water changes. i havent added any new fish in over a month at least, and they have lots of cover and live plants all over.

I was thinking maybe my 800lph internal was too strong for them, but if i really think about it, they've all been really shy for a long time now. I even moved the other big male into my big tank, and now hes all out and about, and i can actually see how great of colors he has! (he always was hiding in the smaller tank)
When the plattys have fry, the fry are never really hiding, and they are out alot more than the adult fish, but now im noticing them hiding more and more. i dont think that they are getting startled or anything, because this tank is off in the corner of the dining room, and they really dont get much movement near their tank. not anything like my main tank which is in the middle of a main room.

something is up with these fish always hiding, and its really bumming me out.

any thoughts guys?

Have you checked your parameters?
Sometimes high levels of ammonia can cause fish to hide.

ive got consistent double zeros for months now. the only thing i can think of is the filter is too strong.

Hmmm. My Platys have always enjoyed the water flow, I've often seen them delibrately go to "play" in it.

I'm wondering if they in fact were traumatised by the other fish and are still wary. Have you tried changing round your tank so it looks totally different? That might make them think they're somewhere else and make them feel safer? Just an idea.

What sex are they all?

How much cover do they have to hide in? and is there additional cover elsewhere near the front of the tank (floating plants for instance)...?

The water changes you are doing are fine, but also very large/frequent, perhaps this is stressing them out a little (i.e. being in a quiet spot, then disturbed greatly, then quiet/disturbed/quiet etc.)... perhaps 25% weekly?

How bright are the lights? fish can feel vulnerable in strong lighting, are the still reclusive when the tanks lights are out?

You can try and tempt them out with live/frozen foods, that sometimes works...

hmm,

well they are always out and ready for food in the morning.

the lights are LED and not very bright at all.

the water changes dont seem to bother them. im pretty proficient at it now, and use a python type system.

they have alot of plant cover in about 50% of the tank, there are long flowing leaves from a willow leaf hygro

they are hiding in the corner with the most "hard cover" staying under the filter, and behind the mopani wood.

there is one young male in there now, with the rest female or too young to sex.

maybe im just over stocked and they are feeling crowded, theres about 10-12 platys in there now. 20g tank.

Hmmm. My Platys have always enjoyed the water flow, I've often seen them delibrately go to "play" in it.

I'm wondering if they in fact were traumatised by the other fish and are still wary. Have you tried changing round your tank so it looks totally different? That might make them think they're somewhere else and make them feel safer? Just an idea.

What sex are they all?

they usually do enjoy playing in the flow, i agree with you.

i might have to try rearranging the tank and see what that does for them.

I think it could be that they're just not used to company, if everything else is fine, and they're in a place where they don't get much attention.

Try siting with them for half an hour every day while you feed them.

I think it could be that they're just not used to company, if everything else is fine, and they're in a place where they don't get much attention.

thanks flutter, i think this is a good idea, cuz if i peek at them, from around the corner, i do usually see swimming around, but i guess if i walk into thier area, they always dart to that dark corner. maybe they just arent getting enough time with someone near them.

I find that one of my male platy is less dominant than the other male and so I do find him hiding on occasion from the other male. But when the dominant male isn't looking, he's out, strutting for the ladies :p

thanks flutter, i think this is a good idea, cuz if i peek at them, from around the corner, i do usually see swimming around, but i guess if i walk into thier area, they always dart to that dark corner. maybe they just arent getting enough time with someone near them.
My Congo tetras were the same when I first got them (well, they still are a bit!). I made a big effort not to feed them or turn their lights on until I had 15/20 minutes to sit with them, then I switched the lights on and fed them while I was there and they have improved a lot.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back