Platy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TotallyTropical

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I was at my LFS today, and decided to pick up some filter cartridges and I saw a tank that was meant for Swordtails, but a Platy also jumped in. I decided to get some to cheer up my male Platy and Swordtail since their mates died. The females are both white, the Swordtail is spotted, and the Platy is a Mickey Mouse Platy. Minnie (I decided to call the female Platy that), is kind-of see-through, but her gills are a bright red colour. To take precaution to make sure her gills weren't infected or anything, I put in some medicine to treat it. Is it just how she looks, or do you think she has inflamed or infected gills? I'll post a picture if needed.

She may be suffering from ammonia poisoning, which is when a fish is kept in a tank with high levels of ammonia. If she's in a clean tank now it should clear up within a week.
I have a twin bar platy, similar in color to mickey mouse platys and her gills are a little bit more pink than the rest of her. It's just because her whole body is such a pale color.

Ok, good to know. The Swordtail also does seem to have pink-ish gills as well. There was a dead fish in the tank as well, so I'm hoping for the best. :/

i had a platy with red gills, he was fine until he got too close to the siphon :-( poor little fish

When you see a dead fish in a tank it is best not to buy a fish from there. If you can't resist it, it would be best to put them in a quarantine tank to observe them for 3 - 4 weeks for any illness. That way you avoid putting your other fish at risk to get infected as well! If your new fish show signs of illness the quarantine tank can then be turned into a hospital tank and the cost for medicine as well as work for you would be kept at a minimum! :look:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back