Platy Strange Behaviour

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

babygirl_rhi-89

Reaction score
:fish: Hi My female platy has been acting really strange latly she has balooned in size around the middle and has started to rest in the plant nose down, she also stops mid-water and just stays foating with her tail up and nose down. She is eating fine and other than this strange behaviour is acting completly normal. :fish:
Please post a reply
Thanks Rhiannon

My tank consists of 2 female platies
3 male guppies
4 Danios
2 penguin tetras

Hi,
try giving her shelled peas,
place peas in boiled water for a few seconds first to soffen,
she may be a little constapated. :)

Just curious, are her scales pushed out? It would look sort of like she is wearing a pincone jacket or something.

No she doesn't look like that she definatly doesn't have dropsy.
Thanks Though

Is she pregnant?

She was pregnant when we bought her which was a few months back she gave birth but we only spotted two fry and we could not catch them so I think the other fish ate them unfortunatly. We have 2 female guppies so I dont think that there could be any way of her getting pregnant unless the guppies are cross-breeding which is very unlikely.
My dad thinks that the platy just has character I just wanted to see if anyone else has had similar problems and if this is bad.

Many Thanks
Rhiannon

Hi,
try giving her shelled peas,
place peas in boiled water for a few seconds first to soffen,
she may be a little constapated. :)

I don't think that she is constipated ever since we had her, every time we look at her she is going to the toilet.
I really hevn't got a clue why she is acting so weird she doesn't seem in pain so i hope she is going to be ok.
Thanks
Rhiannon

I heard that most common livebearers (Platys, guppies, mollies) can hold onto sperm and have several pregnancies after one mating. So she could indeed be pregnant again, I think....can anybody back me up with this?

hi,
platy can have fry every 4 weeks for up to 7months just with one mating,
but preg females usualy hide before giving birth not swim nose down -_-
guppys dont cross breed.
if shes eating ok and normal the rest of the time i would not worry.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back