Platy Started Hiding And Seems Terrified Of Everything

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Maybelline

Reaction score
I've got a +200 litre tropical community tank with the following species: Platys, Balloon Mollies, Corydoras, Guppy. All get along fine. Water parameters are all fine. Have the tank for about 5 months - so still relatively new at this.

Have 1 female platy for about 4 months. She's given birth quite a few times and used to get along well with another male platy but a few weeks ago he became a bit annoying - following her everywhere, never leaving her side. He never hurt her (that I could see) but you could tell that she became somewhat annoyed or anxious to get rid of him. She hid in the ornamental ship all day every day for quite a few days. Never saw her come out to feed. The male to female ratio is about 1:4

When I removed the ship for cleaning she went absolutely beserk. Swimming like a crazy fish up and down the tank trying to hide in the plants.

So I thought she's probably pregnant and now suddenly wants more privacy so I put her in a small 20 liter tank together with another female platy that is recovering from what I think was gill disease a while back.

She's been living in the smaller tank now for about 1 week and she hardly ever eats. She's hiding underneath a log. I try put food close to her and she'll occassionally nibble on some live food but otherwise doesnt eat and doesn't move.

I need advice. i dont know how to get her to go back to her usual normal self. Is is really because now all of a sudden pregnancy has become an issue for her and she'll be fine again when she's done giving birth? She doesn't seem sick - no physical signs of stress like whitespot.

Please help.

What are your water parameters of the tank.
Ammonia, Nitrite and nitrate. Ph, gh and kh

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back