Platy Has White Spots!?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

almk

Reaction score
My platy has white spots on his tail, and smaller ones on his body. What is it, and what can I do?? I heard it could be Ich/Ick (sp?) and needs to be treated. The other 2 fish dont seem to be affected by it.
I also think maybe the platy is stressed? When he is near one of the more aggrssive fish, he clamps his fins close to his body and swims slowly like he is in defense mode.
( i tried getting rid of the aggressive fish, but the pet store i got him from wont accept him back. Maybe Petco will take him)
I do water changes once a week, the ammonia level was at 0 this morning. I added 1 new platy about a month ago, these spots are new, so i do not think the newest addition has anything to do with it.

http://tinypic.com/r/2yydoq1/6

They're mostly on his tail, best picture i could get, he kept moving!

I've had him for 3 months. When I first got him he was happy, always swam fast, and wasnt affected by that aggresive fish. Now he has changed

Really difficult to tell from that photo. There is one mark just above the centre of the tail that looks like it might be whitespot (aka ich), but you just can't see anything on the body.

Try Google Images for whitespot on tropical fish, and compare that to your fish. It will look like little grains of salt or sugar on the surface of the body.

If it doesn't look like that, then it could be the same as I had on some livebearers a while back, which was just some white splodges on the tail. I upped my water change routine to 3 times weekly, and it went away and didn't come back.

You don't mention a nitrite reading?

Reading is 0. If you google image "platy with white spot on tail" the first pic is a yellow fish with a white spot. I'm on a phone so I can't paste the link. But my fish hasabout 4 of those spots on his tail, not the rest of his body.

I assume you do a weekly water change? Try doing it twice a week, maybe three times for a week or 3, and see how it goes.

my platy recently had white spot, raise the temp of the tank slowly up to 30.C, like 1.c a hour, mine cleared up on its own!

I say same as msasa19. Raise the temp as high as possible for your platy and see if they clear up on their own. Our tank with platys and other fish had an outbreak but raising temp and not stressing them seemed to do them good and soon the spots had decreased and then almost disappeared. Don't freak, see if this works, if it is whitespot then this is a small amount and don't be too rash. I freaked and there was no need as normally this works.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back