Platy Giving Birth :)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Sarahstan

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey my Mickey Mouse Platy is just giving birth and I was totally unprepared for it!! I have her in a 125L tank with 3 other fish. Just tested water on Saturday and all perfect :)  What do I need to do to keep fry alive - they are currently being devoured as soon as they are born poor little things!! I can't afford to set up a nursery tank right now, but have a friend who will take some fry, so just wanting to know what I do until they get bigger :)

A place to hide is best for new fry. Plants, little house decorations, driftwood, things like that. Even a little terracotta pot would help.

Fry are pretty good at hiding if they have a place to do so.

If there are aggressive fish in the tank they wont last long.  I would try getting a breeding box to house them in for quite a while.
The way I collect fry is kind of weird, but usually doesn't stress the female out too much.  Breeding boxes can be very stressful for a fish, so I sit and watch my female and have a net in may hand just under her by about 5 inches. She is probably ok with that and will just drop the fry, and the fry will usually fall in. If you only have a few aggressive fish some of the fry will live, but they only have a few hours, most will be at the top so you can just scoop them out and put them strait into the breeding box. 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back