Platy Emergency

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

StarfireGraves

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So, 

I have 2 females (for sure) who are quite round (I think they might be pregnant) and have a white anal opening. Should I be worried? 

One is a female high fin who is very very round and has what I think is a gravid spot but I am not sure.

The other is a female red wag who is not quite as round but still round.

I am kinda freaking out because I don't know exactly what is going on. This is my first time having platys, and I love them. I bought 4 females and 1 male a week ago and these two were a little fat looking then. 

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Hugs and Smiles,
~Holly

It could be their birthing tube getting ready to drop fry, can you get a pic?

Platys are pregnant for about 1 month. (4 weeks)

When they are close to dropping, they will be big, and they bellies will slightly square off (this is when the belly looks a little more square than round, the bottom looks flatter)

If you see them swimming backwards with their tail tilted up this is usually when she is literally about to have her babies. Also she will probably go to a quiet hidden place away from the others.

Its quite hard to see a gravid spot on a dark coloured platy. if you shine a light behind them maybe you will see a darker tone, 
preg01.jpg

here you can see the babys eyes, this platy is close to having her babys, a gravid spot is the frys eyes appearing.

If you think she is going to give birth, put her in a breeders net if you want to keep the babys, you never know, you might get some amazing colours :) hope everything goes well

Thank you both very much. I signed a light on them like you said (From the back) And couldn't see eyes so I guess they
have a while to go yet. Again thank you.

You're welcome, if you could get a photo that would help a bit :) some people buy balloon platys and think they're pregnant, but they naturally look like a balloon. Haha. Just look out for their behavior, if anything changes just Post about it again if you're unsure about it :) 

I love Platys ive done all my research on them because i am wanting to start breeding them :) 

Antoniakr said:
You're welcome, if you could get a photo that would help a bit
smile.png
some people buy balloon platys and think they're pregnant, but they naturally look like a balloon. Haha. Just look out for their behavior, if anything changes just Post about it again if you're unsure about it
smile.png

I love Platys ive done all my research on them because i am wanting to start breeding them
smile.png
I checked them all and found that I have a Micky mouse platy whos babies look similar to the one in your picture. I have tried to get pictures but my camera is bad resolution so they look like fuzzy balls in water. But I have one whom is green with a red tail, she was a little rounded but in the past week she has nearly doubled her with but you can't see though her. So I donno if she is pregnant (witch is likely) Or if she has something wrong with her

Antoniakr said:
Well depending in their skin colour it can be  a lot harder to see through them. When they square off then they should have their fry in about 1 week from then. in this thred someone has posted a photo of their platy that has squared off and says she's about to pop. take a look http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/402002-pregnant-platy/
Thank you very much, my green one looks similar, just not as big.

You're welcome :) it'd be great to see some photos of your play, their colours sound amazing 

Ok, I mannaged to mess around with my computer, here are a few decent pictures:
https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/t34/1779396_634275696632682_1429227062_n.jpg?oh=b72aa248dccc428feacf579d6eec2d48&oe=52E753B8 
(^My green platy with a red tail(Lucy))
https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/t34/1624592_634276509965934_52837571_n.jpg?oh=d72e0d0d3006716e018bfecc5a16401d&oe=52E73223
(^ My Micky Mouse (Minnie) with the other in the background)
https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/v/t34/1624233_634276923299226_899808650_n.jpg?oh=2d9ec284e79dafbe5bc02f0233ae11a7&oe=52E7342D
(^My High Fin (Lyric) with my Red Wag (Jane))
https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/t34/1616655_634277323299186_434668700_n.jpg?oh=06687dc8b3038cdc34aa3a881c8412f1&oe=52E73BFA
(^My only male, a Red Micky Mouse? (Bruce))
They are all platys, sadly I never got a picture of Jesse before she died. (Jumped out of the tank last night while I was sleeping) And pardon the poor quality, they are the best of what I got.

Wow Lucy is absolutely beautiful! Minnie does look a lot rounder than the others though, im not sure weather she will be about to have fry soon though but it's hard to tell from those photos. i'm sure you probably will end up having fry though because you have males and females together :) Gorgeous platys you have

Antoniakr said:
Wow Lucy is absolutely beautiful! Minnie does look a lot rounder than the others though, im not sure weather she will be about to have fry soon though but it's hard to tell from those photos. i'm sure you probably will end up having fry though because you have males and females together
smile.png
Gorgeous platys you have
From what I understand she is quite close. She has been arching her back today. And thank you :D I love them. 

Most reactions

Back