The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ninjanickwhite

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I discovered this site and decided to join, as everyone here seems helpful and friendly. I have a question about a mysterious disappearance. I have a 20 gallon betta community tank. In the tank is a crowntail betta, platies, cory catfish, and kuhli loaches. A few days ago, I noticed one of the platies laying on the bottom. He didn't look too good, but no fish were messing with him or anything, so I thought I'd check back on the situation in a few hours, as I had stuff to do. When I checked back, the platy was just completely gone. I've checked the whole tank, the filter, the decorations, the floor surrounding the tank in case he jumped, but he was just gone entirely. It's been a few days now, and I've officially declared this a total disappearance. My question is, do you think that he might've been consumed by the other fish in the tank? It seems unlikely to me, as the other fish are other platies, a betta, cory cats, and kuhli loaches, and this platy was not very small. However, I cannot think of where else he could've gone, I have no explanation. Does this seem plausible? Has anyone witnessed any of the species I've named eating another fish? Thanks.

Fish do eat other fish after they are deceased. And they consume them very quickly. It is possible that they consumed most of the fish, and the rest of it just floated into a decoration or plant. You may not notice it even if you are looking for it.

Yeah, I think it's likely that it was eaten. That's usually the case with disappearing fish, especially whom have no other explanation. I'm sorry for your loss.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back