Platy And The Birthing Tube?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

angelkatelyn

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi i have wat seems to be 3 heavily pregnant platy in my tank, wen i think iv seen the birthing tube on 2 of them they just do a poo instead and the 3rd one has done it a couple of times but still has a white tube there, how can you tell the difference between the birthing tube and 'toilet' tube lol, sorry i cant word this sort of thing better.
everytime my partner puts the fish in the separator they never give birth so we take them out the next day nd somehow the smallest fish seems to jump out and over the side of separator and then hides lol, how do we now wen to separate them? 1 is definitely very close to dropping as she has a huge black gravid spot

thanks in advance

p.s. when i said the 3rd one has done it a couple of times i meant in the past 2 hours

If I understand your question, you want to know when to isolate a platy so that it can give birth. I take any fry eating livebearer that I want fry from and place it in a separate tank with some cover for the fry. A while later, when she delivers the fry, I return her to the main tank. I often move my heavy female a week or more ahead of her due date so that she has time to settle in to the tank before dropping her fry.

Also, don't stress the female out by netting her. Use an empty container, like the large fish food cups, or whatever you happen to have, and scoop her up with some water. Less stress!

ok thanks both of you, and yes that was part of the question, the other part was, how do you tell if its the birthing tube?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back