Platy and Endlers Guppy fry

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Gavril

Reaction score
My micky mouse platy has gave birth to 10 health fry 2 weeks after I introduced my all male ender guppies into my 90l tank. She didn't show any squaring off or any enlargement of her belly, I noticed when her clocoa was dilated and moved her to my breeder box and she had given birth to 10 fry but my loach got his barbles in through the vents and ate about 8 :(. So i moved her in the breeder trap to the nursery even though I knew she would get extremely stressed. When I finally got a close up on her fry they weren't platy fry because they were ALOT smaller than normal platy fry and the had not been premature as the egg sack had already been absorbed. The platy hadn't been pregnant before the enders were in the tank because there were no other males in the tank that were interested in her. Could someone PLEASE EXPLAIN because I'm really confused, I will get a picture of the fry however they were only born today.
baby cross.jpg platys endler.jpg fishes endelr.jpg

If the platy has ever been in a tank with a male platy before you bought her, she will already have been impregnated and carrying sperm. She can have fry for around another 6 months with no male platy in the tank.

If she is still young, she will have smaller batches of fry until she matures some more, and the fry could also be small.

elaborating on essjay's response.

when livebearers mate the male will deliver a number of sperm packets into the female. They normally produce between 4 & 6 sperm packets per mating. The females then hold the sperm packets in their bodies until conditions are good, and use 1 packet to fertilise a batch of eggs inside her body. Once the eggs hatch and the babies have developed sufficiently, the female gives birth to them. She can then use another sperm packet to fertilise another batch of eggs. This will continue until all sperm packets have been used or the conditions are no longer suitable for babies :)

If the platy has ever been in a tank with a male platy before you bought her, she will already have been impregnated and carrying sperm. She can have fry for around another 6 months with no male platy in the tank.

If she is still young, she will have smaller batches of fry until she matures some more, and the fry could also be small.
Thanks fro the help, but this platy is the biggest and most mature out of all the female platies I have. Also I have had platy fry before and they look completely different

Also I have had platy fry before and they look completely different
completely different in what way?

Baby platies can vary in colour depending on their parents. Red platies produce red young, yellow platies produce yellow young.

If the only female livebearers you have are platies, then the fry must be platy fry. They cannot be endler/platy hybrids, if that's what you are thinking, as the two species cannot cross breed.
The endler guppies are all male? There's no female sneaked in somehow?

If the only female livebearers you have are platies, then the fry must be platy fry. They cannot be endler/platy hybrids, if that's what you are thinking, as the two species cannot cross breed.
The endler guppies are all male? There's no female sneaked in somehow?
They are all males because the all have gonopodiums.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back