Plastic trim on Fluval Roma....

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Hairy_Trev

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi guys (and gals.... let's not be sexist!!)

I couldn't find a topic to post this under so gonna launch it at the world in general....!!!

Tonight, in the dark hours I 'acquired' a Fluval aquarium, I beleive to be a Roma 200 litre, judging by the dimensions and plain box style. (don't be suspiscious... someone fly-tipped it so I picked it up!!! Doing my neighbourly clean-up!!!)

However, there is a break in the plastic crossmember part of the top moulded trim and I suspect it may leak through the 6 inch gaping hole in the front panel!!!

My thoughts are to replace the front panel with a suitable piece of glass from a regular supplier, but my question here is twofold...

First of all, is that plastic crossmember really essential? Could I dispense with it or maybe find another way of bracing around the top?.

Secondly, does anyone have any suggestions of how to remove the top and bottom plastic trim around a fluval tank? Is it bonded to the glass or just decorative plastic which the structural glass box sits in? I'm trying to think of what it's like on my Jewel Rekord 70 litre, but as that's full of water and fish, difficult to inspect!!!

Any thoughts on the project and the pasltic trim greatly appreciated!!

Hairy Trev

The plastic crossmember - is that a piece of plastic attached to the trim and going from front to back over the middle of the tank? If it is, the tank does need it, or some other way of bracing the tank. I had a Juwel Rio 125 and the trim and cross piece came unstuck from the back of the tank resulting in the glass bowing. I could have repaired it but I wasn't totally sure it wouldn't come unstuck again so I didn't try. Besides, it was a good excuse to get a bigger tank ;)
The replacement tank has glass strips siliconed to the four sides of the tank right at the top edge like little glass shelves, which also support the cover glasses. Maybe you could try something like that.

Hey Dutch, I'm a gal.......

The plastic crossmember - is that a piece of plastic attached to the trim and going from front to back over the middle of the tank? If it is, the tank does need it, or some other way of bracing the tank. I had a Juwel Rio 125 and the trim and cross piece came unstuck from the back of the tank resulting in the glass bowing. I could have repaired it but I wasn't totally sure it wouldn't come unstuck again so I didn't try. Besides, it was a good excuse to get a bigger tank ;)
The replacement tank has glass strips siliconed to the four sides of the tank right at the top edge like little glass shelves, which also support the cover glasses. Maybe you could try something like that.

Hey Dutch, I'm a gal.......
Thanks for the comments and thoughts SJ... in the time since I posted, I've been attacking the tank in question... my thoughts were that a tank with bracing, normally has it incorporated into the glass structure itself as a crossmember or (as you commented) glass "shelves" around the top edges. I was more concerned at the time about how to actually remove the plastic trims but your comments have been helpful.

During the courese of the past two hours, I've managed to remove the bottom trim relatively intact, but the top trim had to be broken into four pieces to allow enough leverage to break the silicon seal, so new bracing will have to bew designed.

Aside from that, (and the gaping hole in the front which will need a new glass panel) after a night of fighting it in my bath tub, I'm quite optimisticof the prospects and pleased with my results..... considering it was just dumped by the roadside!!! What d'ya think?

Attachments

• DSC00038.JPG
    DSC00038.JPG
    304.9 KB · Views: 876
  • DSC00044.JPG
    DSC00044.JPG
    297.3 KB · Views: 751
Looking good :)

Nasty looking hole though, I wonder if that why it was dumped or was it caused when it was dumped. Was the hood with it or just the tank? If you can clean the rim up, maybe use "glass shelves" bracers and cover glasses rather then a lid with an over the tank luminaire.

Hi guys (and gals.... let's not be sexist!!)

I couldn't find a topic to post this under so gonna launch it at the world in general....!!!

Tonight, in the dark hours I 'acquired' a Fluval aquarium, I beleive to be a Roma 200 litre, judging by the dimensions and plain box style. (don't be suspiscious... someone fly-tipped it so I picked it up!!! Doing my neighbourly clean-up!!!)

However, there is a break in the plastic crossmember part of the top moulded trim and I suspect it may leak through the 6 inch gaping hole in the front panel!!!

My thoughts are to replace the front panel with a suitable piece of glass from a regular supplier, but my question here is twofold...

First of all, is that plastic crossmember really essential? Could I dispense with it or maybe find another way of bracing around the top?.

Secondly, does anyone have any suggestions of how to remove the top and bottom plastic trim around a fluval tank? Is it bonded to the glass or just decorative plastic which the structural glass box sits in? I'm trying to think of what it's like on my Jewel Rekord 70 litre, but as that's full of water and fish, difficult to inspect!!!

Any thoughts on the project and the pasltic trim greatly appreciated!!

Hairy Trev
My plastic was also broke on my 55 gallon tank so the weight of the water had broken the seal in the corner and it leaked so I built one out of wood the plastic keeps the glass together where it is connected

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back