Plants Turning Brown

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

argoma

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello guys,
I recently bought some live plants, about two weeks or so ago and I planted my 18 gallon tank.
The plants were looking great for the first week, now this week, the lower part of the plants started to go brown and is growing some sort of fuzzy stuff on the leafs.
This brownish coloration is only on the lower parts of the plants since the top of the plants is a very vibrant green, baby new leafs growing in multiple places of the top of the plants.
I use liquid ferts from Sera since Saturday.
In order to stop this brownish coloration and thinking it was fungus or bacteria I added about 6 drops of Esha 2000, which is not toxic, so if it doesn't help, won't harm neither the fish or the plants.
What's going on with my plants and what can I do to stop the brown coloration and fuzzy stuff on leafs?

you might want to add what plants you have to help you further

not sure if over doing it on ferts will cause an algae problem
co2 being used?
high / low light being used?

Stimo said:
you might want to add what plants you have to help you further

not sure if over doing it on ferts will cause an algae problem
co2 being used?

high / low light being used?

tumblr_myy9up7g891qfjde8o1_1280.jpg

here is a pic of the tank so you can see what plants there are. this was taken the day I planted the tank, now the plant's are mostly brown and with quite a lot of a fuzzy thing over the leaves and also those on the background have grown enough to cover a bit of the filter.
I'm not overdoing the ferts, but I can start using the ferts only every other day if that would help of once a week.
I don't have the CO2, just the filter.
High light for about 12 hours, by high light I mean the 65000w for 12 hours.

65000w you sure that's correct? sounds like a power station running that setup
wink.png

i think high light and ferts are causing the plants to require more co2 hence what i can only assume is algae? they need the co2 to utilise all of the light instead of the algae.
when you mention co2 and filter together that makes me think you're on about activated carbon media in the filter which is something totally different.

i could be wrong hopefully someone will be along to say

The brown stuff sounds like diatoms. It's common in new setups. If it wipes off easily then it is diatoms.

daizeUK said:
The brown stuff sounds like diatoms. It's common in new setups. If it wipes off easily then it is diatoms.
Should I cut the brown leafs off or just try to take it off? Is it bad for the fish?

No it doesn't hurt the fish but it will block light from reaching the leaves of plants.  Try to wipe off as much as possible and do a water change of around 50% after to get as much out of the tank as possible.  You don't need to remove leaves if they look healthy underneath.

daizeUK said:
No it doesn't hurt the fish but it will block light from reaching the leaves of plants.  Try to wipe off as much as possible and do a water change of around 50% after to get as much out of the tank as possible.  You don't need to remove leaves if they look healthy underneath.

I'm going to try that now.
shoulders said:
cut the lighting period down to 6hours see if that makes a diffrence
I will try, thank you

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back