Plants Turning Brown

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

porsche714

Reaction score
newbie here and needs help :unsure: I dont know the name of my plants all i know is i have java moss and thats about it lol. ok why are my plants turning brown at the tip of the leaf? right now im using 2 bags of eco-complete and marine sand in the front. i have a heater (how much do i set the heater to?) and two 15 watt lights. no co2. i started this setup last week so the water is pretty new i did add a "aqua safe" water conditioner and "cyble reduces fish loss" i put 3 one teaspoon of each.

also how big will those little cat fish grow up to? and for the sucker fish its about 8" long and it just hide in out spot under the drift wood. we also have a 14" sucker fish but it died :( should i take out the sucker fish ?

oh and I am from the United States of America.

this is what im using
chap104.jpg

chap102.jpg

sucker fish
chap097.jpg

catfish
chap081.jpg

plants numbered
chap088.jpg

chap090.jpg

chap085-1.jpg

ur tank is new I presume so its normal..get some ottos(2 inces)or my fav bistle nose plec(5inches)...they suck on browm algae

You need to add ferts for the plants. It's a sign of nutrient deficiency.
You should also find out the type of fish and plants you got. Do some research.
It'll save you a lot of problems.

1) Read the instructions on those bottles, I am guessing that 3 teaspoons of each is either too much (AquaSafe) and too little (Cycle)
2) Marine Sand in freshwater? If it is coral based then it may well raise your pH significantly, it is labelled marine sand as it is usually for marine aquariums only, though I may be wrong.
3) It isn't algae, so otto's etc won't help, the edges of the leaves are turning brown. It may be due to the leaves being damaged and therefore rotting, or possibly you have burried the tuber from this plant (anubias) under the substrate which is not good, the tuber needs to be above the substrate and often these plants are tied to wood or stones. Or maybe that plec is nibbling them?

It is worth checking up on that catfish, I have a feeling it may be one that gets to a good few feet as an adult? I would not add any more fish for a good while aswell, and try to get hold of a water test kit that tests for ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte. Putting fish into a new tank (even when using Cycle products) often triggers high levels of ammonia and nitrIte until filter bacteria grow enough to remove these chemicals.

Hello,

Your plants are giving you a visual feedback that they 'need' something.
This could in a way be a good sign.... It means that your plants are trying to grow, but in doing so, because of a lack of the thing they need they are suffering.

Does that make sense?

I say this because older leaves (that I guess WERE OK and healthy looking) are now starting to show signs of this deficiency - good stuff stored in older leaves are being taken to areas where they are more needed, i.e. new growth. This is a sign that mobile nutrients are being, well, moved (within the plant). Thus I conclude that your water column is lacking 'mobile' nutirents (for starters) and these include the primary macro-nutirents Nitrogen (N), Phosphorous (P) ,Potassium (K), (aka 'NPK') and Magnesium.

If you want to combat this, start feeding your plants the essential elements they need:
Nutrafin Plant Gro NPK
And for 'trace elements':
Tropica Master Grow (now under a different brand name I believe) or SeaChem Flourish.

If you have no CO2, also consider SeaChem Flourish Excel.

GL

Andy

it says add one teapsoon for every 10 gallon. so total of 12 for my 30 gallon.
the marine sand says its safe for salt of fresh, and the anubias is tied down to the drift wood.

Also, I think 'cycle' is pure snake oil. Utter waste of money IMHO.
I regard AquaSafe as an excellent product for dechlorinating water but of course will do nothing for the plants.

Andy

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back