The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nurglespuss

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hi all,

Still learning about plants.

In my burgeoning nano tank many of my plants leaves appear to turn 'mushy' and fall apart.....

I'm really not sure why, I will test the water when I get home from work.

I have (I Believe - suffiecient lighting), good substrate and have been using liquid fertz. I also have a reasonable photo period (10-12 hours). and mild water movement....

Should I pull out the plants, and replant with hardier mosses/floating plants?

Cheers all.

We really need to know all the tank stats (size, lighting (watts and type), co2, substrate, ferts) to be able to diagnose this problem :)

Sam

2 x 8watt T5's

tank is ~ 12x12x10

Silica sand and plant substrate.

Flora boost added, trace elements added.

Filtration via gentle trickle filter.

pH probably acid (due to tanin and bog wood) will check when fin work.

Are they Sags's ??

All mine melt. I know- put them in boiling water, then freezing, take off any any leaf still not green ( 90% of them ) & then plant & wait.

Mine are in good substrate & it can take some time, but mine are always healthly after the first cull. (Ferts & CO2 added)

Harsh I know- but better than seeing them dying in front of you & picking them out of the filter.

Saying that , always surprised that people say Sags are easy to grow, not IMHO.

Are they Sags's ??

All mine melt. I know- put them in boiling water, then freezing, take off any any leaf still not green ( 90% of them ) & then plant & wait.

Saying that , always surprised that people say Sags are easy to grow, not IMHO.

Are you putting your Sags in boiling water? :unsure:

Dave.

Some of the more fragile plants I get melt (according to some webpages) due to transplanting stress (well just some cryptocornes, actually). Both just letting them melt and taking off dead parts as well as cutting off the leaves around the crown and letting them regrow (if there's alot of melting and you don't feel like cleaning up the tank) seem to work.

[Are you putting your Sags in boiling water? :unsure:

Dave.
[/quote]

Yep

Read it somewhere obscure & have run with it ever since- does work

[Are you putting your Sags in boiling water? :unsure:

Dave.

Yep

Read it somewhere obscure & have run with it ever since- does work

OK, so let me get this right. You put your plants in boiling water, then freeze them and you say it works. Then you go on to say your Sags melt, and are not easy to keep in your opinion.

What is it, exactly, that you say works when you boil them?

Dave.

It strips off all the leaves that would melt anyway.

I may be left with just a small % of the plant, but it is healthy & starts to grow again as soon as it is planted.

Before I used this method, my sags literally melted away, blocked the filters & try as I might , I couldn't get them to grow again & ended up throwing the whole lot away.

IMHO sags are difficult & thats why I tried this' off the wall' method which for me, works.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back