Plants In A Brackish Tank With Aragonite Sand?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Doomchibi

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
In short, my question is what plants could I keep in a brackish tank (with a salinity level of 1.008 sg) with aragonite sand and a fish that digs? What about plants that red-claw crabs can't destroy? Semi-aquatic plants?

More details...

I currently have a 6.5" or so Violet Goby (Dragon Goby) in a 29g brackish tank with a salinity level of 1.006 sg, though my goal is 1.008. I am still in the process of raising the salinity, as he was originally kept in freshwater and I do not want to shock him. In a few months from now, I am going to upgrade him to a larger tank, probably either a 40g or 55g depending on what I can find. When I was researching violet gobies a while back, I found that they dig around a lot (put lightly, more like redecorate) and require sand to eat properly. I have him in a tank with aragonite sand covering the bottom, and 2 large planters lying on their sides in it because I thought he might use them as hides.. Within the first day of being in the tank, he dug out underneath the largest planter, and he lives in there now, using 4 different entrance and exit holes to come out for food. He never really does anything else, very rarely he will come out and swim around the tank for a few minutes before going back into his burrow. The only reason he comes out is if i'm cleaning the tank (he chases the vacuum), or when I make too much noise near the tank. When anyone sees it, they always ask me why I have an empty tank set up with nothing in it. When I upgrade him to a larger tank, I am going to try to get some other brackish fish or invertebrates to keep with him, and I figure I should try to plant the tank as well so it looks less barren. One thing I was considering keeping are red claw crabs, though I have heard they will rip most plants up. Are there any that can withstand salt and could possibly survive a little abuse? What if I sloped up the tank on one side, maybe mixed the top with peat and eco earth (i'm not sure what yet) and then added some semi-aquatic plants and made a small terrestrial area for the crabs? Are there some plants I could keep in that section, partially in the water, that will handle the salinity? I could possible find some other small terrestrial fern or the like to put in the upper area, but I would have to be sure it is safe if it gets nibbled on. 

Anacharis, Ananias, hornwort, java fern, water sprite.

Good luck getting it to work out though. Most fish from brackish biotopes are heavy plant eaters. And I believe most brackish tank keepers grow their plants as a fresh water tank until they fill in nicely and then slowly make the conversion to brackish that way the plants don't have to work too hard to grow

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back