Plants From My Creek, Should I Have Any Worries !?!?!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SmexxyNick

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I went to my local creek and picked this up. This is just a test to see if it would grow. i picked it at the part were the current is most strongest and i washed them very well before introducing them. Let me know if i can keep doing this. 

Thank You.
 http://gyazo.com/866bb0943b095e56f803b28bb28c41a3 <----- (Picture)

I know a lot of people who would say not to do this, but I personally have done it a couple of times. As long as you are washing them well (in a salt water dip to kill any parasites), I don't see a problem with it. I personally feel that free is the best! lol

I'll give you a free tip though, turn the heater on its side as when the heat rises it can turn the heater off early.

There are a few potential concerns with collecting plants from the wild. The most obvious is of course the chance of introducing a disease or other unwanted pests into your main tank. This risk can be reduced with careful cleaning of the plant and having a temporay growout tank for it much like a hospital tank for fish.
Other less likely concerns are is the plant in a protected area? Eg from a national park or reserve? where most things are strictly no take. If from private land do you have the land holders permission to collect the plant?
Is the plant rare or protected, and therefore a no take plant no matter where it is growing?
Is the plant actually a declared noxcious pest and not actually allowed to be collected/ transported or kept?
When all these questions can be answered confidentally and positively then collecting from the wild can be a lot of fun and a good way of getting some plants not commonly found in the hobby

Thank you, i didn't even know about the heater being sideways. And it's a natural creek yeah it's also like a trail just protected like "no littering or commercial use without permit... yeah 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back