Planting my 12 gallon tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Nicola Main

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I recently bought my first aquarium on Sunday and it's cycling in prep for my first fish in a few weeks time! I do have some plants already but was wondering if I should get more? Fish-wise I'm looking at getting dwarf rasboras, sparkling gouramis and pygmy cories. I read that floating plants would be good but would they be OK with a lidded tank? I was thinking of getting water sprite. Also do I take the plants out of the little cups they are in and plug them into the sand? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
You can leave the plants in the pots fort the present; I find this helpful to be able to move them around until you are fairly certain where you want the plant, then remove it from the pot. Take off (carefully) most of the rock wool (white stuff) but you can leave bits rather than damaging the roots. Once unpotted most plants like to be left alone, which is why moving them in the pots can help.

Yes, floating plants are always beneficial with all forest fish. Also, being fast growing, they are good removers of ammonia. Water Sprite is my favourite floater; if you can find it, you will never run out as daughter plants are produced on alternate fronds (being a true fern the leaves are fronds).

Perfect thanks again Byron! And they will be OK with the lid down?

Yes. I have floating plants in all my tanks, I consider it essential, and Water Sprite is the floater in most of them. I have never had issues with the tank being covered. Here's my 40g as an example...I keep most of thee surface covered in this tank because of the pencilfish and false (green) neon tetras needing dim light.

Attachments

• 40g April 20-18 (2).JPG
    40g April 20-18 (2).JPG
    658.7 KB · Views: 213

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back