Planted tank setup?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fishlover22346

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello all, I acquired this 10 gallon a month ago about, and I got this plant about a couple weeks ago. with the plant, my fish seem really happy. the tank is very heavily stocked with some mosquitofish and a couple guppies and a betta. the fish are all happy except, to avoid any issues in the future, with ammonia, I would like to set up a planted tank, but I only can use just gravel. so how should I set up this tank?

Attachments

• 97C52129-0187-4494-B6AE-423F1591B284.jpeg
    97C52129-0187-4494-B6AE-423F1591B284.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 313
That gravel looks shallow, You could get some Anubias tied to wood or small rocks.

Having a betta in with guppies is not a good idea. Male betta can often mistake the flashy colors of a guppy for a rival and kill them. He may seem fine now, but you are asking for a problem here.

I took the betta out because the guppies were being nippy, but my betta is the most docile betta ever, also, as of the gravel, it’s around 2 inches deep. I do however want a centerpiece fish, anyone have a good suggestion?

I second what FroFro said I have a female betta and I too thought she was kind but a guppy in to test and she tried to attack it.sO don't please.

I would like to set up a planted tank, but I only can use just gravel. so how should I set up this tank?

As this presumably will be a natural or low-tech method planted tank, there is really no difference except for the light (maybe, depends what you have now). The gravel is large-grain, which some plants do not appreciate, but you can still work around this. If you stay with livebearers (and I am assuming your water parameters are moderately hard or harder to suit these?) you could do a nice Central American/Mexican stream aquascape. A few more rounded river rock, and a chunk of wood or three not too large. Vallisneria is a good harder water plant, and the Corkscrew Vallisneria is not too large for a 10g.

You also asked about centerpiece fish, this is next to impossible in so small a tank. You are better going with small fish and more of them. You could add some Endler's perhaps. [I fully agree, no Betta in this tank, that is almost certainly not going to work, and you already seem to be seeing that].

First we need to know about your water, Is it soft or hard?

Guppies and Mosquito fish prefer harder water, most of the center piece that would fit in your tank prefer softer water.

Guppys are great fish and in my opinion in such a small tank it might make sense to use them as the centre piece.

In terms of plants you are somewhat limited however anubius on wood would work as well as small valis species as stated above.

if you were hoping to add a bit more colour and activity to the tank you could add some shrimp as they have a very small bioload as well as come in all colours and patterns you can imagine.

where I live it is hard to find shrimp, although i may be able to special order them. thanks for the info. I took the betta out and he’s doing fine, for the centerpiece fish I got a paradise gourami because I have heard they work great. I also have a golden panchax. I know this is highly stocked right now, however the golden panchax and gourami will be moved soon to a 20 gallon, which I may also make a planted tank. for this 10 gallon tank in the future I plan on ordering a few endlers and the tank will just be livebearers only, with maybe a few snails. I also have a 5 gallon tank in storage, which is also where my 20 gallon is. the 5 gallon I plan on using as a planted betta tank, with maybe some shrimp.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back