Planted Tank Setup?

fishtk75

Reaction score
I like to start a planted fish tank and like to know which plants are good starter plants and how to take care of them as to water and chemicals.
Also is there a list of fish are good for a planted tank and which not to put in the tank that will eat all the plants down to nothing.

I have found that some plants will grow better than others for me so just give it a go :/

I have recently got some Nutrafin plant gro fertiliser sticks that you push in to the roogravel be the roots
and they will feed them for 12 months :good:

my plants are going great on them, one fern (I don't know what its called) is propergating like mad.

I'm not too sure about plant types, but try going to your local fish store and ask them. It depends on the tank size and lighting, really. Most plants sold at fish stores aren't too hard to care for.

I think that the less chemicals, the better. Try using a large flourescent bulb (12T+) that's at 6500 degrees K. This helps grow your plants without too much algae growth.

I put some tetras or rasboras in a planted tank. They school and look very nice around the plants. Most livebearers like platys and mollys won't eat your plants. Many chilids like to eat plants. Normally, it's the larger fish you should stay away from in a planted tank. I'd say nothing over 3".

Oh! And I wouldn't worry about algae growth too much. Many newbies to planted tanks freak out when they get algae. A little algae on your plants will actually make your tank look nice. Be sure to scrape it off the front of the tank so you can see. I'm not saying to do anything to encourage algae growth, but having some doesn't hurt. If you start getting blankets of it everywhere, then you should get an algae remover that's plant safe. It's very important to check that it is plant safe, because some WILL kill plants! Even plant-safe will do a little damage to them, so don't use algae killer unless it's an emergency.

Hope this helps! :D

hello fishtk75,

try reading some of the pinned topics in the plants and planted tanks section of the forum. :) generally, you need sufficient lighting, a good substrate, co2 (which is really optional, but it's always best to have) and usually some type of fertilizer to run a planted tank. you must also take into consideration the water parameters and any fish you plan to have with your tank, along with the dimensions of your tank and the species of plants you plan to have. basically, do plenty of research before buying anything for your new tank.

good luck.

I'm not too sure about plant types, but try going to your local fish store and ask them. It depends on the tank size and lighting, really. Most plants sold at fish stores aren't too hard to care for.

I think that the less chemicals, the better. Try using a large flourescent bulb (12T+) that's at 6500 degrees K. This helps grow your plants without too much algae growth.

I put some tetras or rasboras in a planted tank. They school and look very nice around the plants. Most livebearers like platys and mollys won't eat your plants. Many chilids like to eat plants. Normally, it's the larger fish you should stay away from in a planted tank. I'd say nothing over 3".

Oh! And I wouldn't worry about algae growth too much. Many newbies to planted tanks freak out when they get algae. A little algae on your plants will actually make your tank look nice. Be sure to scrape it off the front of the tank so you can see. I'm not saying to do anything to encourage algae growth, but having some doesn't hurt. If you start getting blankets of it everywhere, then you should get an algae remover that's plant safe. It's very important to check that it is plant safe, because some WILL kill plants! Even plant-safe will do a little damage to them, so don't use algae killer unless it's an emergency.

Hope this helps! :D

hello fishtk75,

try reading some of the pinned topics in the plants and planted tanks section of the forum. :) generally, you need sufficient lighting, a good substrate, co2 (which is really optional, but it's always best to have) and usually some type of fertilizer to run a planted tank. you must also take into consideration the water parameters and any fish you plan to have with your tank, along with the dimensions of your tank and the species of plants you plan to have. basically, do plenty of research before buying anything for your new tank.

good luck.
Thank you
I am looking for a list of plant safe fish all the years of this hobby has anyone come up with one?
Some of you gave me some names thanks that is what I am looking for thought the years you all know what group is good and which to stay away from.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back