Planted Tank Plan

ejoypousson

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm rather new to fishkeeping, having gotten a betta only around 3 months ago, but I'm interested in starting a planted tank. I've been doing a bunch of research, on this forum as well as elsewhere, and I'm trying to consolidate the things I've learned into a plan for a planted tank. Would someone with more experience be so kind as to read through this and tell me if this is ok?
smile.png

• Tank size: 5.5 gallon
  • Substrate system: Substrate additives for beneficial bacteria and nutrients on the bottom, porous chips, then Fluorite, and some sand/gravel on top for 3 inches of total substrate
  • Plants: I haven't picked my plants yet but I definitely want to heavily plant, and I'll be choosing low to moderate light plants
  • Light: 1.5-2 WPG, 10 hours/day
  • Fish: 1 betta, 4 pygmy cories
  • CO2: Not sure if I should bother with adding any as I want this to be as low maintenance as possible. Although I would like the plants to grow in faster initially, I don't mind having a longer wait if it's ultimately less trouble. But I'm not sure if I'd have enough fish in there to supply the plants' needs. I'm not going to go for a diffusing system if I end up adding CO2, I'd probably use something like Seachem Excel. Any advice on whether I should add CO2? 
  • Filter?: I don't want to use a filter, would that be ok?
I'm thinking of adding the fish to the tank not more than a week after I set it up. 

Does heavily planting allow for more stocking? If it's possible I'd like to increase my number of pygmy cories to 6 and get an otocinclus catfish.

Hello and welcome :hi:

We are always happy to see new members join us.

A planted tank can give you more flexibility for stocking, in many cases.  Unfortunately, in this case it does not.  Adding plants won't make the tank larger, just allow for better water quality.  A 5.5 gallon tank is far too small for a group of pygmy cories.  They should be in a tank at least 10 gallons, preferably bigger.

Also, otocinclus are just as much shoaling fish as the pygmy cories, and as such, should only be kept in groups of 6+ as well.

Personally, I think your best option is just the betta alone in that tank.  Or, add a few snails, there are some quite lovely ones, if you are ok with snails.  Zebra nerite snails, for example.

Keeping a betta in a filterless tank is an option, but not one that I would recommend.  However, it can be done.  The other fish you mention ALL need good filtration, and therefore wouldn't be suitable to that tank for that reason, beyond the size issue.

Please read through the cycling article at the top of the website, as well as the "Betta Care" article, until the "MORE" heading at the top of the website.  Both are full of extraordinary information to help keep your fish happy and healthy.

Hi, thanks for the advice! So I think I'll go with having a filter and circulation in the planted tank with the betta, but I wouldn't do a fishless cycle. Is the rest of the plan ok?

Bettas do very well in planted tanks. With the low flow that the Bettas prefer, try to find low maintenance plants...

Out of substrate plants (tied to decor):
Anubias
Java fern

In substrate plants:
Wisteria
Cryptocoryne spp.

Floating plants:
Frog bit
Hornwort
I would suggest adding the plants and waiting about a week to let them settle in to the tank before adding the betta. But, while the plants can work well to keep ammonia low, you will still want to keep a close look to ensure it stays zero.

Thanks for the suggestions! Are any carpeting plants suitable? 

Most carpeting plants need high lighting, very high.  And that also means you need to add CO2, so I will say: No.  Sorry.  Maybe some moss.

Okay, I'll stay away from carpeting plants for now. A question about substrate: I've been reading that it's good to get beneficial bacteria to thrive in the substrate; would it be okay to put biological filter media underneath the Fluorite? I'm thinking maybe volcanic rock filter media. I'm not sure if it's okay to use it as part of the substrate when it's supposed to be in a filter.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back