Planted Betta Sorority (Pic Heavy)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

It has been ages since my last post for this tank. Everyone is alive and well, the plants are going crazy still, producing runners. The hood light died on me, not the bulb but the hood itself. Good thing I've got a spare, only difference is a few extra watts.

I had to move the tank and set it on a chair for a few days because our washing machine decided to pee all over the floor. My room is on the other side of the wall so a lot of the water came into my room, soaking the carpet. Had to move all the furniture including 2 of the tanks to let the carpet dry. Everything is back in order though.
Otabek's 11-10-17.JPG

I just added another trio of loaches, now there are 8. With their tiny bioloads and all the cyrpts I don't see a problem with having so many. They are busy getting acquainted. I believe 2 of them are the larger species while one is going to stay on the smaller side like the original. There was a slight mishap at the petstore where the employee dropped one! Not only was he furiously chasing the loaches, he was also carelessly moving the decor around. Of course the loaches borrowed into the gravel because he was freaking them out so much, making it all the more difficult. There was also the mishap of him accidentally leaving a female betta in the net (from a prior netting) when he went to a different tank for the loaches. I think the dropped loach will be fine, no visual injuries or behavioral issues (yet).
New banded loaches 12-8-17.JPG

Those crypts have grown a lot, I love crypts.

Love the Loaches and yes 8 will be fine, I have 15 in my 2 footer.

Did I mention I love crypts?

Last edited:
Yes you did mention you love crypts :D I was going to buy another type of crypt but forgot in the process of getting the the fish. It was a taller kind of crypt with thinner leaves, looked really nice and would of done well in the sorority.

Update, that little part where I said "I think the dropped loach will be fine, no visual injuries or behavioral issues (yet)" has become "now". I've been watching the tank for a whole and most of the loaches are out and about looking for food. The dropped one is having issues though. It's been wiggling around slowly in a circular fashion and even tipped over on its back. I'm going to have to start insisting on netting my own fish, I've had too many fish get injured because of inexperienced employees.

Edit: Loach's condition is worsening, its doing death rolls (much like a crocodile would) with its body all stiff and mouth gaping open. Not looking too good...

Edit #2 The poor thing died shortly after the first edit :/

Last edited:
oh man that's so sad.
poor little thing.
you saw two mishaps with an employee in the short time you were there...
imagine how many there are when you're not watching! scary!

Aside from that, things look great!

oh man that's so sad.
poor little thing.
you saw two mishaps with an employee in the short time you were there...
imagine how many there are when you're not watching! scary!

Aside from that, things look great!

I'm pretty sure it was just the one employee that was having issues. Another lady was netting fish like a pro for another costumer, then there were a couple others waiting to get their fish. I'd say the guy was trying to hurry and he was new. Rushing while catching fish is a no-no. I just wanted to take over and net my own fish.

Kuhlis are hard to net at the best of times.

I am severely regretting adding those three banded loaches. All the new ones died in much the same fashion as the first. Odd seizure like movements, deaths rolls and then going limp. I took a video of the first loach and plan to upload it shortly. I have no clue what happened with these new loaches. My best guess is they didn't take well to my water parameters even though the pH was the same. I did some researched and it seems others have had the same problem but no one knows why.

About 4 days ago, I noticed that the water was pretty low just a day after a water change. I discovered a wet carpet and book shelf due to a faulting O ring on the filter. I move the tank to the other side of the room, where it remains on a chair. I threw in a spare internal HOB with the same media and called it good.

Low and behold, I took a peek at the tank today after the Christmas festivities and noticed my oldest loach acting lethargic. Turns out the heater took a crap and died so the water was a chilly 69 F. No wonder Otabek wasn't all that interesting in begging. I threw in a very old, very out-dated yet functional adjustable heater and the temp is back up to 78. Otabek is back to his active self but the loaches are doing poorly, que big water change.

I replaced a good 60% of the water and while doing so I checked on the other loaches. My big banded loach was found stiff as a board, probably only a few hours dead. The other banded is not looking like she will make it through the night. The 3 black loaches are alive and active, but obviously stressed.

I did think to check the water before the water change and there was no nitrites and either 0 or .25 ammonia, but we all know how hard it is to tell the difference between the two shades. The nitrates were low, as usual, at 10.

Did I forget to mention that before all of this the light hood died? Not the bulb, the actual hood is dead so now I've got the light to my cichlid fry tank going on the 10gal.

This tank is a mess, honestly all the betta tanks are having problems of one kind or another. It is disheartening.

Update: I got a pic of the new HM
View attachment 80026

and also of the red VT that died:
View attachment 80027

She always hung around the bottom of the tank, always avoiding the others (even tho she's the biggest) and didn't eat hardly at all.

Also got pics of entire tank:
ThenView attachment 80028

NowView attachment 80029

Not much difference but the plants have taken root and are sending up new leaves all the time.Everyone gets along great with barely any split fins. After hearing from a few other peoples' experiences first hand, I've been thinking of trying to add a male plakat with the girls. *audible gasp from the crowd*
ohmy.png
Please don't panic!!! I'm only thinking and if I do decide to do it, I will monitor them 24/7! I would love to hear any thought you guys have on this (plz have mercy on my poor soul and don't be cruel)
Lmao (a
Nice tank, But TBH I do not think that is enough plants for 1 betta let alone a sorority.[/QUO
Yes the MTS are for digging around, I have no idea how they would go with dirt, Maybe Byron can shed some light on that.
I have a small planted one gallon. I kniw its practically animal cruelty. But I'm using it as a makeshift isolation tank. Moral of the story. After you add the dirt put some sand atop of it then put your regular gravel

I suppose it is time for an update. The largest of the black loaches decided to try squeezing into a very small hole in the internal HOB filter and I didn't see this until it was too late. So now there's 2 lonely black kuhlis, Otabek, and a nerite snail. I put a nylon stocking over the loach death trap so no more mishaps with that. Plants are doing great, going through yet another growth spurt and sending up runners like crazy. I can count 9 right now, not including the 4 I pulled and added to other tanks.

While moving the tank back to it's original place on my book shelf I decided to remove the driftwood and switch it out with a taller piece. Looks nice and the anubias growing on it seems quite happy.Knock on wood, all has settled down in this tank.

Whilst things are hopefully stable, I decided it was time for the next spawning attempt. I am not looking for a major haul of fry as I am seeing how Otabek will do if I spawn and keep him in this tank. The idea of the father culling inferior fry for me is greatly appealing because I don't particularly want to kill runty bettas. So my lovely blue double tailed girl is flirting up a storm with my boy at this very moment. She actually jumped out of the cup, I expect eggs tomorrow.
DT spawning tank.JPG

Yes Loaches love tight places.
I love those crypts, Mine are starting to grow like crazy there are new leaves popping up all over.
I think you should enter the tank of the month comp,

I'm not confident enough to try for tank of the month. I look at my tanks and all I see are flaws, the biggest on this tank being great big scratches on the glass. But I will agree, my crypts are awesome. They are my pride and joy. Your crypts are growing in fast, soon you will be overrun with them.

Take a nice front on photo of the tank and enter, I would vote for your tank over a high tech tank that uses co2, a ton of ferts using purigen and god knows what else,

IMO high tech tanks are not natural

Then I'll be taking some photos tomorrow.

Surely today I will have double tail betta eggs. They've just started doing the embracing but as per usual I have to head to work in a few minutes. If they finish before I get home there should be plenty of places for the female to hide.

Came home from work that same night and they were still going at it. Shortly after Otabek seemed to of had enough and chased the female away. I had a heck of a time fishing her out. As to be expected, whenever I decide to talk about my bettas laying eggs, the male decides to eat them. I don't see any eggs, nor bubble nest. I'll have to try it again in a different setting.

IMG_2235[1].JPG

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back