Planted aquarium lighting help

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

meadoughlark

Reaction score
IMG-20190419-183925.jpg

This is my first proper attempt at an aquascaped planted aquarium, which I've been researching and planning for a long time and finally set up and planted yesterday. I'm really happy with how it looks, some might say it's too densely planted but I wanted a wild, dense jungley look and I think I've come close to achieving that. My only issue so far is that I think I may have gone overboard with the lighting. I'm using this SUNSUN ADS-400C 18W LED light:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/s...4m.searchlist.list.21.62d13cd1pVT3z3&search=1

The tank dimensions are L 20 W 10 H 16 inches, which is about 13 gallons. I assumed that because the light is made for a tank of this length, that it would provide a reasonable amount of light for its size. But when I first switched it on I was quite dazzled by it. If the house lights are off, it lights up not just the aquarium but a good part of the room as well, and casts a fluorescent flicker on the wall behind it which I find quite unattractive. Although it makes the plants look awesome, I'm quite light sensitive and felt a bit dizzy after looking at it for a while. Maybe I'm overreacting and I'll get used to it after a while, but I'm thinking if it makes me dizzy it will be uncomfortable for fish, despite the dense plant cover (I'm going to add neon tetras).

I've seen this SUNSUN ADE-300C 14W LED which might be more appropriate:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/s...4m.searchlist.list.26.62d13cd1nt1jCQ&search=1

Will a 4W drop be a significant drop in brightness, but still provide enough light for the plants? If not, can you recommend a less intense light that I might be able to get hold of in Thailand? Or is my current light OK so I should see if I can get used to it?

Plants:

Bolbitis African fern
Microsorum narrow leaf
Cryptocoryne petchii
Hydrocotyle tripartita
Cryptocoryne parva
(All have low - medium light requirements unless I'm mistaken)

Any light suspended or held above the tank frame will dissipate light into the room. This is why I recommend lighting that sits on the tank frame; all light then goes into the tank. You could probably build a sort of frame around the tank. Anyway, my point is that any light placed like this will do the same. So if this light is good for plants, don't get rid of it. However, I know next to nothing about LED as I have had bad results and stay with T8 fluorescent, so other members with more LED knowledge may be able to help you further.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back