Plant Question!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

prince321

Reaction score
jus a lil question of advice..
i got a 30 liter tank, and got my first set of tropical fish in there,
planing to put sum plants in, most probly artifical..
generaly do tropical fish like the plant enviroment?
will it be beter to use real plants then artifical?

at the moment, i got big stones and a big shell, which they seem to be around most of the time..

n e advice??:D

chers

jus a lil question of advice..
i got a 30 liter tank, and got my first set of tropical fish in there,
planing to put sum plants in, most probly artifical..
generaly do tropical fish like the plant enviroment?
will it be beter to use real plants then artifical?

at the moment, i got big stones and a big shell, which they seem to be around most of the time..

n e advice??:D

chers

Not sure what fish you've got, but my fish love swimming around my plants. Some members on here prefer fake, because of ease of cleaning the tank, low hassle, and others like real as they do absorb some nitrates, and can look better if they're healthy.

I've got both. I'm in a hard water area, so I've got Vallis which grows like a disease, and I started with Java moss and java fern, both of which are easy to look after, and look good. I've also got a few fake plants as well to hide my internal filter housing.

Hope this helps. By the way - check your email inbox, if you click on the link supplied from TFF your status will go from validating to 'member'. It may be in your junk mail folder if you have strict rules set up on your inbox.

Cheers,

BFG

bfg ur gr8!!..lol thnxz alot,
ye, i gues real plants look much beter, but jus the case of how often do you have to put the medicen in for the plants?
and i gues if u got real life plants u gota keep the aquarium light on to for sum hrs of the day??
chers

il sort out the status fing :D

bfg ur gr8!!..lol thnxz alot,
ye, i gues real plants look much beter, but jus the case of how often do you have to put the medicen in for the plants?
and i gues if u got real life plants u gota keep the aquarium light on to for sum hrs of the day??
chers

il sort out the status fing :D

Must admit I'm very lazy, and apart from a few root 'tabs' for my Vallis which I put in when it was planted, they don't get any fertiliser etc (apart from what the fish produce! :sick: )

My lights are on for 8 hrs a day (on a timer) and all the plants seem to do ok. I've got 60watts of lighting in a 40 gallon tank so approx 1.5 watts per gallon which is considered low light levels, but these hardier plants seem to do ok (they've been established for a few months now).

ahh nice 1!!

so when i do plant the plants, it wont cause the fish distress or n e thing wil it? im planing to plant quite a few around the corners..
ive got sand which usuly sprinkles about if i move somthing in the tank..?

and one other question, which may be a bit funi, lol, is it okie to put your hand in the tank, eg, when planting the plants or moving rocks or sumthing? will that cause the fish distress? n e important precautions should be made? eg. washing hands in tap water ?

chers thnx alot

ahh nice 1!!

so when i do plant the plants, it wont cause the fish distress or n e thing wil it? im planing to plant quite a few around the corners..
ive got sand which usuly sprinkles about if i move somthing in the tank..?

and one other question, which may be a bit funi, lol, is it okie to put your hand in the tank, eg, when planting the plants or moving rocks or sumthing? will that cause the fish distress? n e important precautions should be made? eg. washing hands in tap water ?

chers thnx alot

They should hopefully be ok with it. How big is your tank? I tried to be careful and not disturb them too much. I've got a very fine gravel tat occasionally throws up 'dust' if you move stuff around, but again, just be careful.

So long as you haven't got any cuts on your hands / arms you should be ok. (Both for you and the fish). I tend to wash my hands in solely cold water & dry them before I stick my hands in, as soap / surfactants etc aren't a fish's best friend by the sounds of it.

real plants in my opinion look so much better aswell as many benifits such as the fish like to hide in them breed on them or even feed on them

its a smallish size.. 8 galon
500 x 250 x 300 mm ( l x w x h )

i think il go both sum real sum fake,
so its perfectly fine if fish eat on the plants?

yep. depending on what species of fish they are, some do, some don`t

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back