Plant leaves look red and brown

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Well depends on when I get up on school days 6:00 in the morning on til about 6-7 at night on saturdays and sundays or when im sick or home at 7-8 in the morning to 6-7 and I rubbed my fingers on the leaves and they became green again and stuff came off but yeah there is light schedule

I recommend a more standard schedule, and shorter period. You can buy a small timer for lamps in hardware-type stores that will work for this. Have the tank light on around 8 hours a day. This is better for the fish too. You can have it come on at say 12 noon or 1 pm, and go out at 8 or 9 pm. I assume you are more likely to be viewing the tank in the evening.

Sounds like diatoms.

Yes, I concur with Byron about having a timer for your lights.

Well worth doing and these timers are fairly inexpensive.

This gives peace of mind and you don't have to worry about switching lights on or off every day, I did this when i first started, quickly got bored of doing that and did forget once or twice so I invested in a little digital timer, and since then I have never looked back.

Having the lights come on and off every day at regular times will help your plants and also your tank stocking for a number of reasons.

A timer is very essential. Wouldn't have a tank without one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

A timer is very essential. Wouldn't have a tank without one.

Is it ok if it comes on in the morning a few hours then back off till evening for a few more hours? it would be on about 3 hours in the morning and 5 in the evening? I've got it set like that so we can watch the fish of a morning before school and work but if it's not healthy I'll change it to only evening. No fish yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it ok if it comes on in the morning a few hours then back off till evening for a few more hours? it would be on about 3 hours in the morning and 5 in the evening? I've got it set like that so we can watch the fish of a morning before school and work but if it's not healthy I'll change it to only evening. No fish yet!

No, this is not advisable. I will copy from some of my earlier posts to explain why; it is rather involved.

Most animals have an internal body clock, called a circadian rhythm, which is modified by the light/dark cycle every 24 hours. This is the explanation for jet-lag in humans when time zones are crossed—our circadian rhythm is unbalanced and has to reset itself, which it does according to periods of light and dark. Our eyes play a primary role in this, but many of our body cells have some reaction to light levels. In fish this light sensitivity in their cells is very high.

The rods and cones in the fish's eyes shift according to the changes in light. This process is also anticipated according to the time of day; the fish “expects” dawn and dusk, and the eyes will automatically begin to adjust accordingly. This is due to the circadian rhythm.

This is one reason why during each 24 hours a regular period of light/dark—ensuring there are several hours of complete darkness—is essential for the fish. In the tropics, day and night is equal for all 365 days a year, with approximately ten to twelve hours each of daylight and complete darkness, separated by fairly brief periods of dawn or dusk. The period of daylight produced by direct tank lighting can be shorter; and the period of total darkness can be somewhat shorter or longer—but there must be several hours of complete darkness in the aquarium. The dusk and dawn periods will appear to be stretched out, but that causes no problems for the fish. It is the bright overhead light that is the concern, along with having a suitable period of total darkness. And the "day" period when the tank lights are on should be one continuous period, not sporadic, and it should be the same every 24 hours or it will impact the circadian rhythm causing more stress.

If you go with the tank lighting in the evening, the fish should be fed then, not in the morning when the tank light is off.

Byron.

Yes very common approach. I do 4 on 3 off 3 on. Whatever works for the tank and your viewing pleasure. Fish are fine

Very nicely put, Byron, thats one of the best concise explainations for this I have had the pleasure to read :)

Very nicely put, Byron, thats one of the best concise explainations for this I have had the pleasure to read :)

Thank you. It is actually an excerpt from an article I researched on lighting and its effect on fish, which is published on another forum. As we can't link other forums (a practice I completely agree with, no question there) I cut/paste excerpts as the questions arise.

No, this is not advisable. I will copy from some of my earlier posts to explain why; it is rather involved.

Most animals have an internal body clock, called a circadian rhythm, which is modified by the light/dark cycle every 24 hours. This is the explanation for jet-lag in humans when time zones are crossed—our circadian rhythm is unbalanced and has to reset itself, which it does according to periods of light and dark. Our eyes play a primary role in this, but many of our body cells have some reaction to light levels. In fish this light sensitivity in their cells is very high.

The rods and cones in the fish's eyes shift according to the changes in light. This process is also anticipated according to the time of day; the fish “expects” dawn and dusk, and the eyes will automatically begin to adjust accordingly. This is due to the circadian rhythm.

This is one reason why during each 24 hours a regular period of light/dark—ensuring there are several hours of complete darkness—is essential for the fish. In the tropics, day and night is equal for all 365 days a year, with approximately ten to twelve hours each of daylight and complete darkness, separated by fairly brief periods of dawn or dusk. The period of daylight produced by direct tank lighting can be shorter; and the period of total darkness can be somewhat shorter or longer—but there must be several hours of complete darkness in the aquarium. The dusk and dawn periods will appear to be stretched out, but that causes no problems for the fish. It is the bright overhead light that is the concern, along with having a suitable period of total darkness. And the "day" period when the tank lights are on should be one continuous period, not sporadic, and it should be the same every 24 hours or it will impact the circadian rhythm causing more stress.

If you go with the tank lighting in the evening, the fish should be fed then, not in the morning when the tank light is off.

Byron.

Byron.

The knowledge here is impressive! Thanks for your time! I will change my timer before we get fish!

Justin

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back