Plant leaves look red and brown

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SnailPocalypse

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So today while checking tank that has algae in it a lot I noticed most of my leaves on my my plants look reddish brown on all of them My lighting on this 5.5 gallon is one 12-16 watt flourescent bulb 5000k any ideas?

upload_2017-2-14_10-2-58.png
upload_2017-2-14_10-3-22.png
upload_2017-2-14_10-3-37.png
upload_2017-2-14_10-4-0.png
The last picture of the staurogyne shows what kind of algae is all over my plants and stuff.

Repens pictures look like diatoms. Hard to tell on wisteria. Photo little blurry on my phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Diatoms are common in new set ups. Caused by silicates. Being a sand substrate obviously you have plenty. They will subside as tank matures. Keep up with maintenance and manually remove them as needed.

I got them on my plants initially as well when the tank was fairly new. Trimmed them back as they grew and the new shoots didn't have them.
I also reduced the light by about 2 hours in a day and now have them on for 7 hours total as I think I was overdoing it in my desire to see the fish!

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

Ah so that stuff is just diatoms that will go away ok but what about my leaves? anything to be worried about there?

To confirm if this is diatoms...does it easily wipe off of the leaves with your fingertips? If yes, it is diatoms, a brown algae of sorts.

However, I think there may be more happening here. What fertilizers if any are you using, and how much?

Byron.

I feel your pain with this...I constantly fight this stuff in my 55 gallon. I wish I could tell you how to get rid of it, but I can't get rid of it myself. I take my fingers and rub it off with every water change. It has never hurt my plants though, so I think your plants are safe, or at least mine have always done fine with it.

S repens looks like diatoms. It can have a reddish tinge. I cant see first pictures well.
Diatoms can clear in a couple weeks to many months. Research diatoms. Pond and ramshorns enjoy them.

I am with other members on this. How long is the tank light on each day? And is it on a timer so it is consistent each day? This can help. Plants like fish need a regular day/night period.

Well depends on when I get up on school days 6:00 in the morning on til about 6-7 at night on saturdays and sundays or when im sick or home at 7-8 in the morning to 6-7 and I rubbed my fingers on the leaves and they became green again and stuff came off but yeah there is light schedule

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back