Plant help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Meemaw

Reaction score
I would appreciate any advice or help and thank you in advance..I am wanting to put plants in my 60 gallon long tank and I have never dealt with plants before. All I know about the lighting right now is it’s led ( I am trying to find out more info on this). I am looking for tall plants for the back to cover hoses and then a few spread around that may even float on top. when I do figure out what plants I want is it best to buy them at my LFS or can you safely order it online?

okay to start with what lighting have you got. we need to know as different plants prefer different levels of lighting.

plants are generally OK to order online. also what kind or look do you want your tank to have.

I would appreciate any advice or help and thank you in advance..I am wanting to put plants in my 60 gallon long tank and I have never dealt with plants before. All I know about the lighting right now is it’s led ( I am trying to find out more info on this). I am looking for tall plants for the back to cover hoses and then a few spread around that may even float on top. when I do figure out what plants I want is it best to buy them at my LFS or can you safely order it online?

Some fish shops don't always have live plants in stock. I would order the plants from online if I where you. I can give you a list of some live plants I know and info about them:

Java Moss:
Java Moss is one of the most common plants in a tank. It’s low-maintenance, difficult to kill, and grows quickly.

If you attach it to a rock, it’ll crawl over the surface of your tank. it has been known to float, so it’s best advised to attach it to something to prevent any float-away.

Appearance: Low, carpetlike growth pattern. Appears ‘fuzzy’.
Water Preferences: Tolerates anything between 72-90 degrees Farenheight. Growth is fastest around 73 degrees.
Lighting Preferences: Grows well in any lighting. However, growth is fastest in medium-high lighting conditions.

Dwarf Baby Tears:
These are my most favorite plant. It’s tough, hard-working, and a healthy carpet of DBT looks beautiful in many of the common aquascaping styles.

As a bonus, if they’re producing oxygen, Dwarf Baby Tears have beautiful little bubbles that form on their leaves.

Appearance: Low, carpetlike growth pattern. Healthy carpets of DBT are thick and vibrant.
Water Preferences: Tolerates anything between 72-85 degrees Farenheight. Growth is fastest around 73-75 degrees.
Lighting Preferences: Grows best in bright lighting conditions, thought amount of light affects growth patterns. Brighter light means more compact growth.

Dwarf Hairgrass:
The aquascaping possibilities are endless with this type of plant. It looks beautiful next to Stone, as well as contrasting perfectly with dark sand or soil.

It’s incredibly easy to grow. So much so that you’ll probably find yourself trimming this quite a bit!

Appearance: Small to medium sized strands of what would appear to be grass. Carpets easily in most environments.
Water Preferences: Tolerates most environments. Grows best in water that’s 72-78 degrees Farenheight.
Lighting Preferences: Grows best in bright lighting conditions.

Marsilea Minuta:
the aqua escaping possibilities are endless with this type of plant. It looks beautiful next to Stone, as well as contrasting perfectly with dark sand or soil.

It’s incredibly easy to grow. So much so that you’ll probably find yourself trimming this quite a bit!

Appearance: Easily identified by the ‘clover’ appearance of its leaves. Carpets easily in most environments.
Water Preferences: Tolerates most environments. Grows best in water that’s 73-78 degrees Farenheight.
Lighting Preferences:Grows in most lighting conditions. Does best in medium lighting.

Amazon Sword:
The Amazon Sword is the staple of most aquascapes. It’s easy to maintain, fast-growing, and can be quite beautiful when arranged in the appropriate area.

Note that these can grow quite big (up to 20 inches), so they’re most often planted in the mid-background area.

Appearance: Large swordlike leaves
Water Preferences: Grows best in water that’s 72-82 degrees Farenheight.
Lighting Preferences:Growth is optimal in medium lighting.

Java Fern:
Java Fern is very a very low maintenance plant, and has a unique look that appeals to most aquascapers. Its biggest benefit is its ability to be planted in nearly any area of the aquarium without distracting from the hardscape. It also looks quite good!

Appearance: Semi-striped, thick leaves. Appears in bunches.
Water Preferences: Grows best in water that’s 72-78 degrees Farenheight.
Lighting Preferences:Growth is optimal in low-medium lighting.

Anubias Nana:
Anubias Nana is one of the more appealing midground plants you’ll find in aquascaping. It tolerates nearly any water quality or environment.

With curved stems and large semi-round leaves, it’s a great match for the stone aquascaping present in most aquariums.

Appearance: Curved stems with medium-sized, semi-round leaves.

Pygmy Chain Sword:
This plant isn’t often seen in aquascaping. Mostly because it’s very similar to what we see everyday of our lives—grass. It’s useful for placement around hardscapes, and is beautiful when properly trimmed.

However, it’s nearly impossible to accidentally kill it!

Appearance: Strikingly similar to most lawn grass.
Lighting Preferences:Growth is optimal in medium-bright lighting.

Pogostemon Helferi:
Besides having an interesting name, this is one of the most unique foreground plants available to aquascapers today. It has a striking zig-zag shape in its leaves, and grows in a ‘blooming’ pattern that’s visually appealing in front of hardscapes.

Appearance: Beautiful ‘blooming’ growth pattern. Zig-zag shaped leaves.

Dwarf Sagittaria:
Dwarf Saggitaria is an easily-maintained plant that maxes out at around 4-6 inches, making it perfect for midground aquascapes. Placing Dwarf Saggitaria around stonework or driftwood is an ideal location, giving it a perfect place to root into the wood or stone, and is an ideal complement.

Appearance: Vibrant green leaves with curved blades.
Hope this helps
~Karen

okay to start with what lighting have you got. we need to know as different plants prefer different levels of lighting.

plants are generally OK to order online. also what kind or look do you want your tank to have.
Thank you...I am trying to find out exactly what type of lighting I have but all the tank said was high definition led. I have been to the website but does not give any info I am now waiting on a reply from the maker to see if they can tell me.
I will have several Cory cats, several different types of tetras and a school of zebra danio...I would like y’all plants to cover the back to hide hoses and such. Was recently told floating plants would be good for tetras and I thought about a few short plants for the bottom..I do t want to have plant overload but would like to have a few different types if possible..I am open to any help and suggestions as I am new to plants. I will have to center decoration pieces I got from pet smart. One looks like drift wood and the other a tree stump

Some fish shops don't always have live plants in stock. I would order the plants from online if I where you. I can give you a list of some live plants I know and info about them:

Java Moss:
Java Moss is one of the most common plants in a tank. It’s low-maintenance, difficult to kill, and grows quickly.

If you attach it to a rock, it’ll crawl over the surface of your tank. it has been known to float, so it’s best advised to attach it to something to prevent any float-away.

Appearance: Low, carpetlike growth pattern. Appears ‘fuzzy’.
Water Preferences: Tolerates anything between 72-90 degrees Farenheight. Growth is fastest around 73 degrees.
Lighting Preferences: Grows well in any lighting. However, growth is fastest in medium-high lighting conditions.

Dwarf Baby Tears:
These are my most favorite plant. It’s tough, hard-working, and a healthy carpet of DBT looks beautiful in many of the common aquascaping styles.

As a bonus, if they’re producing oxygen, Dwarf Baby Tears have beautiful little bubbles that form on their leaves.

Appearance: Low, carpetlike growth pattern. Healthy carpets of DBT are thick and vibrant.
Water Preferences: Tolerates anything between 72-85 degrees Farenheight. Growth is fastest around 73-75 degrees.
Lighting Preferences: Grows best in bright lighting conditions, thought amount of light affects growth patterns. Brighter light means more compact growth.

Dwarf Hairgrass:
The aquascaping possibilities are endless with this type of plant. It looks beautiful next to Stone, as well as contrasting perfectly with dark sand or soil.

Appearance: Small to medium sized strands of what would appear to be grass. Carpets easily in most environments.
Water Preferences: Tolerates most environments. Grows best in water that’s 72-78 degrees Farenheight.
Lighting Preferences: Grows best in bright lighting conditions.

Marsilea Minuta:
the aqua escaping possibilities are endless with this type of plant. It looks beautiful next to Stone, as well as contrasting perfectly with dark sand or soil.

Appearance: Easily identified by the ‘clover’ appearance of its leaves. Carpets easily in most environments.
Water Preferences: Tolerates most environments. Grows best in water that’s 73-78 degrees Farenheight.
Lighting Preferences:Grows in most lighting conditions. Does best in medium lighting.

Amazon Sword:
The Amazon Sword is the staple of most aquascapes. It’s easy to maintain, fast-growing, and can be quite beautiful when arranged in the appropriate area.

Note that these can grow quite big (up to 20 inches), so they’re most often planted in the mid-background area.

Appearance: Large swordlike leaves
Water Preferences: Grows best in water that’s 72-82 degrees Farenheight.

Java Fern:
Java Fern is very a very low maintenance plant, and has a unique look that appeals to most aquascapers. Its biggest benefit is its ability to be planted in nearly any area of the aquarium without distracting from the hardscape. It also looks quite good!

Appearance: Semi-striped, thick leaves. Appears in bunches.
Lighting Preferences:Growth is optimal in low-medium lighting.

Anubias Nana:
Anubias Nana is one of the more appealing midground plants you’ll find in aquascaping. It tolerates nearly any water quality or environment.

With curved stems and large semi-round leaves, it’s a great match for the stone aquascaping present in most aquariums.

Appearance: Curved stems with medium-sized, semi-round leaves.

Pygmy Chain Sword:
This plant isn’t often seen in aquascaping. Mostly because it’s very similar to what we see everyday of our lives—grass. It’s useful for placement around hardscapes, and is beautiful when properly trimmed.

However, it’s nearly impossible to accidentally kill it!

Appearance: Strikingly similar to most lawn grass.
Lighting Preferences:Growth is optimal in medium-bright lighting.

Pogostemon Helferi:
Besides having an interesting name, this is one of the most unique foreground plants available to aquascapers today. It has a striking zig-zag shape in its leaves, and grows in a ‘blooming’ pattern that’s visually appealing in front of hardscapes.

Appearance: Beautiful ‘blooming’ growth pattern. Zig-zag shaped leaves.

Dwarf Sagittaria:
Dwarf Saggitaria is an easily-maintained plant that maxes out at around 4-6 inches, making it perfect for midground aquascapes. Placing Dwarf Saggitaria around stonework or driftwood is an ideal location, giving it a perfect place to root into the wood or stone, and is an ideal complement.

Appearance: Vibrant green leaves with curved blades.
Hope this helps
~Karen
Oh my thank you so much...it helps tremendously!!!!!

Thank you...I am trying to find out exactly what type of lighting I have but all the tank said was high definition led. I have been to the website but does not give any info I am now waiting on a reply from the maker to see if they can tell me.
I will have several Cory cats, several different types of tetras and a school of zebra danio...I would like y’all plants to cover the back to hide hoses and such. Was recently told floating plants would be good for tetras and I thought about a few short plants for the bottom..I do t want to have plant overload but would like to have a few different types if possible..I am open to any help and suggestions as I am new to plants. I will have to center decoration pieces I got from pet smart. One looks like drift wood and the other a tree stump

okay well let us know when you get the info.

okay so a good general rule to follow is that one should have a kelvin rating between 5500 and 7500 and there should be about 2 - 5 watts per gallon. but im not sure if this still applies for led.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back