Tomc2641

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 200litre aquarium with sufficient filtration in the form of the Jewel bioflow arrangement, and a Eheim 250 external filter, which I have plants in. Firstly I'm trying to bind some Anubis plants (I think) to some bog wood from my LFS. I've tied them down with cotton thread as suggested but after 3 weeks it still seems like they haven't binded. Also, one is losing leaves everyday. Secondly, I have some plants directly planted into the substrate which have this dark green/black stringy algae stuff growing off them? I have a pellet like substrate which looks like mud in clumps with a layer of gravel on the top. Any suggestions on how to bind the plants and also make the other plants look healthier?

IMG_0266.JPG
IMG_0265.JPG
IMG_0264.JPG
IMG_0262.JPG
IMG_0263.JPG

From my experience, Any type of anubias is extremely slow growing and takes quite a bit of time to attach itself to a new piece of wood. Especially if it was in a pot with a significant amount of roots like the ones pictured.

I believe that the only portion of roots that will attach is any new growth that happens. So mostly on the ends. whenever I transplant anubias or any type of java fern i trip the roots back almost to the rizone then tie it on. it attaches within a month or two.

The other looks like mondo grass which I believe is only meant to be under water for a short time. It is not an aquatic plant even though almost every single chain store sells it as one. So if that is the only plant that you have that has the algae growing on it I would get it out before it spreads! You could always plant it in a pot next to your tank :)

Last edited:
Weiro hit it out of the park. Alot of variables play a role in how fast plants attach.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Also, one is losing leaves everyday. Secondly, I have some plants directly planted into the substrate which have this dark green/black stringy algae stuff growing off them?

Yes it looks like you have algae. Algae can grow even when the water has very low nutrient levels in it. Plants need higher levels. Are you doing a water change once per week and how much water are you replacing? Most people hear do a 30 to 50% water change once a week. Anything less than that is probably not sufficient. Regular Water changes can keep trace nutrient levels stable. Another think to try is a complete fertilizer. Seachem Flourish comprehensive is a very good one to try. It has all the nutrients plants need. That should rectify any low nutrient level problems you have and the plants should grow. Hopefully once the plants start growing they will out compete the algae for nutrients and die back. That should also stop the leaf loss and the plants should attach in time with new root growth.

One other point regarding anubias, they prefer shaded areas rather than being high up by the water surface and nearer the lights.

This is not especially a problem if the lights are low tech but if you have stronger lights then algae issues may occur such as the BBA and hair algae that seems to be growing, as weiro mentioned this mondo plant (i know nothing of this plant tbh) and may not be a true aquatic plant so therefore its weaker fully immersed and more suscepticle to an algae onslaught.

Though of course there are other variables that do come into play such as nutrients, water temperature and flow (though this is debatable) for example.

As for tying on anubias, I tend to use plastic cable ties (zip ties I think USA guys call these) to tie the strongest part of the root system to wood then after a month or two, i snip off this cable tie when sure the root has anchored on the wood. Although I have had success with 100% Cyanoacrylate superglue and or fishing line in the past but this can prove messy or tricky to do, practice makes perfect for that :p

BTW neat little tank set up, I kinda like it :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back