What's new

Plant Disease

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Yaf

Reaction score
Aqua palnt.jpg
Hello I'm new, can anyone help me with this?
Leave getting yellow with black spots and rots eventually, please help

The plant is JAva Fern, and the problem is probably a nutrient deficiency. Lighting is also important, as this is a low light plant and does not usually do well under bright lighting (floating plants solve this aspect). Are you adding any fertilizers, and if yes, which and how much/often? You might detail the lighting too (type, stats, duration on daily).

Byron.

I agree it is a nutrient deficiency. A very good fertilizer to use for this would be Sachem Flourish Comprehensive.

View attachment 83354
Hello I'm new, can anyone help me with this?
Leave getting yellow with black spots and rots eventually, please help
The plant is JAva Fern, and the problem is probably a nutrient deficiency. Lighting is also important, as this is a low light plant and does not usually do well under bright lighting (floating plants solve this aspect). Are you adding any fertilizers, and if yes, which and how much/often? You might detail the lighting too (type, stats, duration on daily).

Byron.
Thank you Byron,
I do plug the flourish tab once every two weeks, and add the Flourish

Byron.

Byron.
Hello Byron,
Thanks for the great info. The supplements I used are (Tropica Nutrition Capsule, Tropica Plant Growth Premium Fertilizer) after each water change, which is every weeks. And a full cap of Flourish Potassium from bottle as it states that is for 125L. Another note, the lighting is an old T8 fluorescent tube set for 7hours with and additional Edge LED, for 5hours daily.

I agree it is a nutrient deficiency. A very good fertilizer to use for this would be Sachem Flourish Comprehensive.

Thanks Steven,
My other plants seems OK, onlt the Jave Fern are getting rot, I do the following:-
Add (Tropica Nutrition Capsule, Tropica Plant Growth Prenium Fertilizer) after each water change, and dose a full cap of Flourish Potassium from bottle as it states that is for 125L. Another note, the lighting is an old T8 fluorescent tube set for 8hours with and additional Edge LED, for 5hours daily.

There may be more here.

1. Substrate fertilizer tabs will not do much if anything for Java Fern or other non-substrate rooted plants. Liquid fertilizers added to the water column are best for such plants. I can't see in the photo, but is the rhizome above the substrate or buried? If the latter, it can rot and the plant will slowly die.

2. You do not need to replace Flourish Tabs every two weeks. The package says every 3-4 months; I replace mine every 6 weeks but there is a special reason I needn't get into. But too often will (may) cause a serious nutrient imbalance. Though again not much with Java Fern. You say you also use Flourish, is this the Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium? How often and how much? It is possible to add too many of certain nutrients which can cause a deficiency in others within the plants.

3. Tropica Premium Fertilizer. I cannot find the precise ingredients, they say "iron, manganese and other vital micro nutrients," and no nitrate or phosphorus (this is good). Not knowing what is in this, and if you are using the Flourish Comprehensive too, again you could be overloading nutrients and have an imbalance.

4. What is the GH of your source water? This is the primary source of calcium and magnesium; these minerals are in Flourish Comp and Tabs, but minimally. Should be adequate for Java Fern, mine do fine with just the Flourish Comp (I have zero GH), but again the multitude of ferts can be causing harm.

Water changes are once a week, correct? What other plants are in the tank?

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back