Plans For New Top Filter And Filter Media

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

crunch7

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So i figured out that although "HOS" (Hang on Side) filters do an good job, nevertheless today or tomorrow their pump gets burned.
I lost two expnesive filters where my pump got burned and all my bacteria dead. Now that is firstly due to poor maintenance. Further there is an option that you can replace and get new pumps, but BIg problem that you dont get spare parts here.  

So I am planning for a top filter with the advantages i think it has over HOS.

More space for filter media 
Lower maintenance
Low chances of pump getting burnt.

Now i plan to use following as filter media. what are your suggestions.
Say of 100% area

1. Sponge 30% area
2. FIlter Wool 20% area
3. Ceramic biological filter 50% area ( I am considering dead coral)

I am not quite sure whether dead coral can be used so will need your suggestions for what to get as bio filter. Pls feel free to share pics of your top filter too. It will  be really helpful. :)

crunch7 said:
So i figured out that although "HOS" (Hang on Side) filters do an good job, nevertheless today or tomorrow their pump gets burned.
I lost two expnesive filters where my pump got burned and all my bacteria dead.

wow, i would really like to know what brand of filters you are using, i have 7-10 HOB filters that are over 20 years old and still running strong.....i have never encountered this problem once in all my fishkeeping years, and i use HOB filters in most of my tanks

Now that is firstly due to poor maintenance.

if that is your problem, any filter is going to fail on you, doesnt matter which one you buy....its just like a car, if you dont take care of it properly its going to break down sooner rather than later

crunch7 said:
Anyone with anything useful.

It's difficult to see how you plan to do this without more details. I presume you're going to build your own above the tank somehow?

Is there any reason you're not considering an external cannister filter?

Hello, Crunch, it's been a long time since I've seen you on here.

Don't use dead coral in your filter, it will probably cause your water pH to change. You can get some ceramic tubes which are ideal. If you are buying a new filter, it will probably come with all you need anyway.

Why do you think poor maintenance caused the pumps to burn out?

crunch; can you confirm; you want to keep African cichlids in this tank, is that right?

If you are, you can use some coral in the filter, as they will like the higher pH and hardness.

How big is your tank?

As the others are asking, why do you think the previous filters broke; were you remembering to clean the impellers out, for instance?

their pump gets burned.

could you provide more details on this? The only time I had a motor fail was when I went on vacation. Evaporation cause the water level to drop and the motor went dry. When it didn't get water it got hot and the plastic housing melted and the motor jammed.

The only other problem I have had is the rotor jamming due to a buildup of organic material on the pump. In that case simply removing the rotor and sipping it down is all that is needed to keep it running properly.

If you are, you can use some coral in the filter, as they will like the higher pH and hardness.

Crushed coral is mainly calcium carbonate with some magnesium carbonate. These carbonates are minimally water soluble and only in acidic water. When the PH exceeds 7 it stops dissolving. The end result is that it will not push the PH above 7. Assuming your water is close to PH neutral when it was added to the tank it will only increase the GH by an additional 25ppm. If however your tap water is acidic (ph less than 6) the effect on GH will be larger. Crushed Coral will stabilize PH at about 7. I would recommend adding it simply because it will protect your fish from acidic water.

I used to buy into the marketing hype about bio-media...ceramic rings, bio-balls, Matrix/DeNitrate (porous pumice stone). But after years of testing and doubting, I now just use simple bio-sponge material that works every bit as good as the more expensive medias (which like a pet rock, I now see as not much more than a marketing cash cow!).

So I have a very coarse thin 1/4" pad on the bottom, a couple of std AC70 sponges, then a 1" finer bio-sponge, then polyester filter floss to 'polish' the water before it returns to the tank [the floss gets dirty over time trapping very tiny particles]).

I'm using a couple of Aquaclear 70 HOB filters (with AC50 impellers for slightly reduced flow) on my 60g. A canister would be okay, but with the hobs I can easily lift the filter basket out while it stays running, service and put back in easily. Having two allows me to clean one, then the other one every other week and gives me a backup if one should ever fail. If there was ever an extended power outage, I could easily pull the basket and place over an air stone (w/battery air pump) to keep bio-filtration in play.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back