Planning for a distant-future large aquarium?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

IndiaHawker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi again! Just to clarify this isn't for now, but I'm planning for the future - my mum has finally agreed to let me get a large aquarium downstairs (pretty sure she enjoyed the fish store and huge tanks more than she's willing to admit), so I'm planning as far in advance as I can! Not getting this in the foreseeable future, partly due to finances, and partly due to the fact that I'd like to get my current smaller tank thriving first.

However as I like to plan as much as possible with these things, I have a couple of questions first:

1. Would you recommend buying a secondhand aquarium from somewhere like Facebook Marketplace? I've seen some brilliant offers on there but my mum in particular is sceptical about buying secondhand in case of leaks. However it would allow me to get a much bigger tank within budget.

2. If a tank leaks, is it dodgy to repair it and will it likely start leaking again from the same place? Or is it better to replace it?

3. If a large tank leaks, will it just continue to drip, or will it suddenly tear along a weak spot and the water all come pouring out (along with fish)?

And 4. Stocking, the fun part! If I was to get a 200L+ tank, possibly larger, like maybe maximum around 4 foot-ish, what stock would you recommend for me? I have hard water - 8GH, 15-20KH, 8-8.4pH. I've heard that cichlids are good in hard water, is this true? And are african or american a better choice for me? I'd be very interested in starting a cichlid tank in the future. Can they live with any other sorts of fish or is it better to keep a cichlid only tank? Any other suggestions? I'm totally open to hearing about some interesting stocking advice, I'd love to keep some larger fish as it'll be the biggest tank we've ever owned, but as I've only just been given the all-clear these are only excited musings for the time being! Doesn't have to be a cichlid tank, I'm open to literally anything, especially the weird and wonderful :D Please and thanks!

You mum has good reason to worry about second hand tanks leaking. Some do and some don't.

You can buy a second hand tank but try to get one that is set up and has water in it so you can see if it's leaking. Quite often you can buy a complete aquarium with filter, fish, plants, ornaments, etc, and they are the ones to look at. Or if you are checking out empty second hand tanks, ask the seller to fill the tank with water before you get there so you can check it for leaks.

Check the stand too. Chipboard/ particle board cabinets are crap after a few years and once they get moisture on them they start to fall apart. Look for bits of particle board bubbling or lifting or any swollen areas where the wood is slightly thicker than normal. These areas are water damaged and the stand will need repairing or replacing.

The stand should be solid enough and not move if you climb on it. A 4 foot aquarium with water will weigh over 150kg, the average human weighs around 70kg, so the fish tank with water will weigh a lot more than a human. If you can't climb on the stand or sit on the stand without it wobbling, then the stand is stuffed.

Check the joints on wooden stands and make sure there are no gaps between the wood. Sometimes the screws/ bolts loosen up a bit and the stand can be repaired simply by tightening things up and adding a few cross members and some more screws.

If you get a metal stand, check it for rust. Some people paint over the rust and sometimes the rust hasn't come thru yet. In which case you will often see blisters/ small bumps under the paint, or the paint might be flaking off. The rust is most common on the bottom by the feet, and in the corners or anywhere there are joins.
Don't confuse the welds on metal stands for rust. The welds are in the corners of the joints and should be a little bumping but they only run along the join. Rust can be anywhere.

Ideally you want to see the tank full of water while it is on the stand. Then you can check the silicon and give the tank and stand a gentle push to see if the stand moves. Be very careful doing this because if the stand is wobbly the entire thing could collapse.

If you buy a tank with fish and plants you can sell/ trade the fish to a petshop for store credit and use the credit to buy something else.

-------------------------
When you look at second hand tanks, check the silicon (the glue that holds the glass together). Good silicon should be reasonably clear and firm but squishy when you touch it. If the silicon is white or has air bubbles in it, or the silicon is hard and brittle, then it is stuffed. You can usually see the bubbles between the sheets of glass where the silicon goes white because it is coming away from the glass. You can try grabbing the silicon with your finger and you should not be able to. If you can pull the silicon away from the glass it is stuffed.

If the silicon is blue it simply means it has been stained with a medication (usually Methylene Blue). Stained silicon is fine as long as it doesn't have bubbles in and meets the requirements mentioned above.

Some aquariums have black silicon and this has the same issues as above.

If the silicon is stuffed you can remove the panel and glue it back on. Little tanks are easier to do than bigger tanks and you might be better off finding a pet shop that builds or repairs tanks and they can cut the side off and glue it back on. If the silicon is damaged on all sides and corners it will probably be cheaper to get a new tank compared to having someone else rebuild it. However, if you are reasonably handy, you could try regluing the tank. You remove one side with a single sided razorblade, they have a smooth side for holding and a sharp edge for cutting. You remove all the silicon from the glass and wash and dry the glass. Then apply some "Glass Silicon" so it covers the edges and put the sheet of glass back on. Use some tape to hold the glass in place. Make sure the edges line up. After 24 hours you can remove the tape. Wait a week for the silicon to fully cure before filling the tank up outside and checking it for leaks.

The hardest parts to do are the top cross members and these can be difficult to remove.

If you have to reglue several or all the sides, cut two sides out and do them at the same time. Don't put a full bead of glue on the ends where the 2 side pieces join the rest of the tank. Just put a couple of dots of silicon so you can cut it off when you do the other 2 sides.

If a tank leaks, it does not necessarily mean the entire side will come away. And sometimes you can have tanks that don't leak and the entire side does come away. This happened at the local petshop last year when the front panel of glass came away from their discus tank. The tank as only a couple of years old and the silicon used turned out to be a bad batch. Subsequently 400litres of water, gravel and thousands of dollars worth of fish ended up on the floor. Surprisingly all the fish survived.

Personally I have never seen nor had a pane of glass come away from any of my aquariums, but I have heard of it happen to a few people. I have had tanks drip/ leak and I patched them with glass silicon and they were fine.

If you check the silicon for cream/ white or opaque discolouration, this should not happen. And look for air bubbles where the silicon meets the glass.

If you check out the new tanks & stands, and the actual fish tanks with fish in at the local pet shop, you will be able to see what the silicon on new tanks looks like. You will also be able to check stands/ cabinets and see how smooth and flat everything is. You can then use that information as a guide to looking at second hand tanks and stands. If the second hand items do not look similar to the new stuff (around the joins, etc) then there could be issues.

Be careful buying any tank with curved glass. If the glass cracks it can be very difficult to replace and you usually get a new tank.

If you buy a second hand tank, make sure it is completely empty before moving it. Do not have anything in it. Put the tank on a couple of thick blankets or a foam mattress in the back of the car, or across the back seat if there is room. Put the other items in a bucket or box and put them in the car but not in the tank.

If you get fish, plants, etc, with the tank, take several large buckets or plastic rubbish bins and put the fish in one, plants in another and gravel in several others. If the tank has a power filter try to keep that wet. Most external canister filters have taps that you can turn on and off. You can turn them off and it should keep the water in the filter and that should help keep the bacteria alive as long as you keep it out of the sun and don't leave it off for more than an hour or two.

I usually half fill a plastic rubbish bin with tank water, add fish and put the filter on that bucket. Then gravel clean and empty the tank and load it into the vehicle. Once everything is packed and money has changed hands, turn the filter off and put the fish and filter in the car. Then head home. When you get home take the fish and filter inside the house and turn the filter on. Top up the bucket with some dechlorinated water and then start getting everything out of the car.

African Rift Lake cichlids come from hard alkaline water. Central & South American cichlids generally come from soft neutral to acid water.

You can keep some fish with cichlids but it depends on what cichlids you keep and how big they are. All cichlids are territorial to some degree and some grow big, over 12 inches. If you keep small African Rift Lake cichlids you could have rainbowfish in with them but not much else.

Generally in hard alkaline water it is Rift Lake cichlids, rainbowfish or livebearers. :)

Last edited:
1. Would you recommend buying a secondhand aquarium from somewhere like Facebook Marketplace?
No I would not recommend it unless you can inspect all sides of the tank while its full of water, I understand it can get expensive buying a new tank but they come with a guarantee.

Second hand tanks will have scratches in the glass and you never know what chemicals have been in it and how it could impact your fish.

As you say you're in England, do you have a Maidenhead Aquatics near you? I got my 300l tank from them as an ex display model. That is they had it on the shop floor unboxed and set up (without water and fish) so you could see what you're buying.

Might be worth going down that route if you can. I'm sure other aquatic shops might do something similar. Failing that, the advice above regarding seeing the tank you're going to buy filled with water is a good idea.

Won't argue with the Aussies about used tanks but there is another side of the coin.

Plenty of people with more money than sense buy expensive set-ups. They don't bother doing the research that you have done on cycling, water types, fish suitablity etc so all their fish die. They may try again with the same result and then decide fish keeping is too hard or not for them. So they try to sell their stuff on eBay etc. Because of the size / weight they list them as collection only so they have a very small market of local people looking for a tank at the time. Next time they try to sell they will drop the price, or accept a much lower offer than their asking price - so there are often real bargains to be had.

So when the time comes it is definitely worth having a look to see what is out there and giving yourself a month or 2 to see if the right bargain comes along.

Thanks so much for the advice all! Sorry for the late reply - had horrendous ear pain for a while, like the worst sort of pain I've ever experienced, so been just chillin' to the best of my ability :p

In fact I do have a Maidenhead Aquatics nearish me - not local but near enough that if I was buying a tank I could likely get someone to take me with notice - so will bear that option in mind, thanks! Went there to get my Bronze Cories recently and was totally impressed with how well their fish seemed to be kept.

I will make sure to be very cautious when it comes to secondhand tanks but very handy to hear the opposing views, thank you! I did look into new large tanks more recently and although the vast majority are near enough unachievable budget-wise, I did find this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fish-Tan...m=252266328240&_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226

which seems perfect (although I'm aware it's generally always better not to go with the included equipment), but considering the tank itself seems great - amazon reviews seem pretty good overall (read negative as well as positive), so as far as I'm aware I will consider this tank a future option (kind of in love with it tbh haha).

I think the GH is a typo! You said in another post that hardness is 18 dH ;)

Will have a look but can't remember the thread off the top of my head - all I can say for sure is that since 9th July I've been recording test results in a spreadsheet (obsessiveness has its pros and cons haha!) and with the old test strips which came with the tank I was recording "10-ish" GH, and with the new different brand strips I was originally recording 8-16GH and for weeks it's been 8GH - unsure if the 8-16 was my lack of ability in reading the test strips or if it's changed a bit - but been stable at 8GH for a while now!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The tank in the link is a bit tall (high) for my liking. It's 70cm high and tanks that high are a pita to get in and clean. 60cm is my max for height but each to their own.

You can get some good second hand tanks. My cousin picked up a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft tank on a metal stand. It was a marine tank and all the livestock had been taken out prior to the sale but the tank was still set up with water when we went to pick it up. We checked it for leaks and bubbles in the silicon and it was fine. He scored a big tank and he even had a few of his workers come and carry it to the vehicle so I didn't have to do anything except drain the tank and supervise :)

-----------------------
As for the ear pain, if you lay on your side so the sore ear is facing up, then add a couple of drops of alcohol to the ear and leave it to sit for a few minutes. Then gently put a tissue against the ear and lay on your other side to let the alcohol run out. The higher the percentage of alcohol, the better it works. Do that 3 times a day for a week and it usually fixes any infections in the ear and also helps dissolve ear wax. If there's no improvement after a couple of days then see a doctor.

Most reactions

Back