Planaria worms?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

thebeccatron

Reaction score
Hey,

Panicking!

I cleaned my tank a few days ago, still trying to get back on track from my last issue (water pump turning the water cloudy, has since been removed). I assumed the water was still cloudy or that I'd somehow got dust in the tank, however on closer inspection...THE DUST IS MOVING.

I suspect I may have planaria worms in my tank having searched through past posts on this site. They're very small but freely swimming around in the water, and stuck to the sides of the tank. There's a lot of them. I'm so embarrassed I didn't notice them sooner :( I didn't even know they existed!

I fairly recently introduced a new plant to the tank and I wonder if that's how they got there. Also I tend to overfeed my mystery snail, so I know that probably makes them worse, and I need to cut down on the veg and remove it sooner if its not eaten.

I've just done a 40ish% water change, scrubbed the sides of the tank and really tried to vacuum the gravel. It's hard in a 5 gallon tank to vacuum as much as I would like to, I usually only get about 30% of the gravel thoroughly vacuumed before I have to stop (or I will remove too much water). I'm sure this must be another factor as to why these worms have got so bad.

Questions...

-How can I get rid of these worms? From what I've read in past threads, some posts say to just do every other day water changes/gravel cleaning, but others suggest the use of medication.
-Are the worms transmissible to humans?
-Any suggestions how I can clean my gravel better but minimize water loss?
-How can I clean the gravel underneath my plants without damaging their roots?
-Will my tank ever be lovely and clear and normal and free of problems??!! I'm trying so hard!

I have just scrubbed my HOUSE as I'm freaking out about these worms.

Help!!

I've never had the worms, but I have had hydra. Fenbendazole took care of them fast without hurting my shrimp or fish, I did take my snails out, but when I noticed the bladder snails weren't hurt and after a couple water changes I put the nerite and mystery snails back, the died within a day...

I've never had the worms, but I have had hydra. Fenbendazole took care of them fast without hurting my shrimp or fish, I did take my snails out, but when I noticed the bladder snails weren't hurt and after a couple water changes I put the nerite and mystery snails back, the died within a day...

Thanks Toney. We use fenbendazole in the dog/cat veterinary world and it only kills worms, so I'd be surprised if it hurt your poor snails. I will try water changes and try to get hold of some fenben this weekend.

Please let me know if anyone else has answers to my questions too :)

Fenbendazole will kill snails,

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back