Pineapple swordtail just gave birth new borns

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

thank you ive been making my flakes, and freeze dried bloodworms into powder for them.how many time a day do you feed them?

You can feed them two or three times a day; what's equally as important is that they get plenty of fresh water.

I know you have them in a mesh box, which is better than a plastic one, but the mesh still stops most of the water flow, so you'll need to change the water in the box for fresh from the tank as often as you can.

If you feed them well and change their water (at least once a day, but preferably twice), they should be too large for the adults to eat in only a week or two (unless you have fish much larger than the swordtails in the tank; if you do, you might have some problems, as those breeder boxes are too small for the fry to grow properly after the first week or so, even with water changes).

You can feed them two or three times a day; what's equally as important is that they get plenty of fresh water.

I know you have them in a mesh box, which is better than a plastic one, but the mesh still stops most of the water flow, so you'll need to change the water in the box for fresh from the tank as often as you can.

If you feed them well and change their water (at least once a day, but preferably twice), they should be too large for the adults to eat in only a week or two (unless you have fish much larger than the swordtails in the tank; if you do, you might have some problems, as those breeder boxes are too small for the fry to grow properly after the first week or so, even with water changes).
thanks for the info!

i normally feed my fry 2 times a day....and do a 50% water change every day (but this varies depending on how many fry and size of tank)

if fry are not fed good quality food, or are in unhealthy conditions you will end up with a lot of deformed fish, and that can never be corrected

i normally feed my fry 2 times a day....and do a 50% water change every day (but this varies depending on how many fry and size of tank)

if fry are not fed good quality food, or are in unhealthy conditions you will end up with a lot of deformed fish, and that can never be corrected
quality food , daily water changes. got it!

If you can feed them baby brineshrimp & microworms 3 or 4 times a day, in addition to the powdered food, they will grow much quicker.
Fry (baby fish) need to be fed as often as possible and should have fat stomachs at all times. They grow best in warm water around 26-28 degrees Celsius. And require lots of water changes to dilute hormones they release that inhibit other fry's growth.

If you have a spare 40litre tank (about 2foot long) with a heater and established filter, you can grow the fry in that and they do well in that size tank for the first 2-3 months. Then they should be big enough to go in the main tank.

Most reactions

Back