Pictus Catfish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

freerunner416

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey Peoples.

I am wondering about pictus catfish. Does anybody keep them? Breed them? What do they like as in water conditions etc? eat? How big do they get?

I currently have discus, cardinals and rummy nose in the tank but considering getting rid of the Cards and RN to bring in a couple (3 or 4 max) pictus. Would that work? I would have enough space in the tank for 3 possibly 4.

Any info or thoughts is good info.

Thank you in advance.

Craig

do these really only grow to be 4in?
I heard they grow to be like 6in?

Hey Peoples.

I am wondering about pictus catfish. Does anybody keep them? Breed them? What do they like as in water conditions etc? eat? How big do they get?

I currently have discus, cardinals and rummy nose in the tank but considering getting rid of the Cards and RN to bring in a couple (3 or 4 max) pictus. Would that work? I would have enough space in the tank for 3 possibly 4.

Any info or thoughts is good info.

Thank you in advance.

Craig
these are a nice fish to keep, but need lots of floor swimming room or they can get unhappy. they go with most community fish, though if fish are small enough to fit in its mouth, they are in danger. mine seems happy at 74f and get the same food all the fish get, flake, bloodworm pellets, cooked chicken. for info i would do a search on this forum for the help. as you see, the info from some sites, is less than accurate.

do these really only grow to be 4in?
I heard they grow to be like 6in?

total bull, 6-7 seems to be about the size in aquaria. I've seem them that big, and heard comments on bigger. i would suggest a 4 inch Pictus is either a juvenile or stunted.

Thanks Guys.

So in theory it is plausible to include a couple of these chaps in with my discus? The petshop that i bought the cardinals from and the rummy nose from will take them back to prevent them being eaten.

I have a few cories in my tank but they should be big enough not to be munched. As for swimming space there is plenty of that. I have bogwood in the tank for my plecs but they shouldn't cause a problem for them.

They are gorgous looking fish and very active.

Has anybody kept them with discus before??

On a side note - boboboy when you are feeding your fish chicken how do you do it? Chopped up into very small pieces? What fish do you feed with this? I have never thought about doing that.

Hi freerunner416 :)

I'm going to move this thread into the Other Catfish section for you. :D

Thanks Guys.

So in theory it is plausible to include a couple of these chaps in with my discus? The petshop that i bought the cardinals from and the rummy nose from will take them back to prevent them being eaten.

I have a few cories in my tank but they should be big enough not to be munched. As for swimming space there is plenty of that. I have bogwood in the tank for my plecs but they shouldn't cause a problem for them.

They are gorgous looking fish and very active.

Has anybody kept them with discus before??

On a side note - boboboy when you are feeding your fish chicken how do you do it? Chopped up into very small pieces? What fish do you feed with this? I have never thought about doing that.

cant help with the discus question, sorry. but to me the ph would be too low for them in a discus tank.
I must admit that my pictus never went near my corie, when they were small enough. BUT this is a known problem, and pictus have a big mouth, so its only fair to warn others. it did however take several Rummy nose! Go figure ????

the chicken i use is, fresh roast. usually the breast meat, but not always. (I'm a brown meat man, so there is often none left lol) i tear it into bits and the fish choose which they want. All my fish love it, silver dollars, corie, silver shark, synos, et-al, its a perticular fav of my common pleco too!!!

Thank you inchworm

wow will have to check the chicken situation in my tank!! Try them on it.

As for the pH in my tank it sits at around 6.8. Looking at some other sites i can see that this would be fine for pictus, are these sites correct though?

Thank you inchworm

wow will have to check the chicken situation in my tank!! Try them on it.

As for the pH in my tank it sits at around 6.8. Looking at some other sites i can see that this would be fine for pictus, are these sites correct though?

yep that sound right. is that not a bit hard for Discus? sorry this is a question not a statement, i have no experience of Discus, but thought they were kept in soft or blackwater.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back