Pictus Catfish Broken Whisker

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Joshifer

Reaction score
I'm sorry for creating a new topic. I googled and googled and I'm not really getting any good answers.

Anyway I purchased pictus catfish after months of studying them I really adore them I actually started my aquarium to have only pictus.
Anyway as informed online their schooling so I purchased 3 (to avoid singling out one getting constantly picked on) anyway I had the LFS employee place them in separate bags cus I know they'd kill each other in a small bag. Anyway one of them swam so hard against the bag he bent his longer whisker its completely bent it looks like if he swims fast enough it'll fall off. It about 75% of his whisker (from top to bottom) it isn't torn at the root theirs 25% from the stem til it bends. He seems normally hyperactive (these fish are known to have ants in their pants)

Is this bad? Will it die? Will it become weak and killed by other pictus? I have alot of plastic plants and one big cave for hiding. Should I return the damaged one? Please help. Also if it does fall will it grow back?

Before having to ask. It's a 55 gallon. Lots of plastic plants and a big faux coral cave. Only 3 pictus in there

it will heal over time don't worry about it, watch to make sure it doesn't get infected though. Even if it does break off it will grow back, just takes time.

^Yup!  Just keep an eye on it, and watch out for anything thats white and fluffy on his whisker, that will be an infection.  The best thing you can do for him is keep the tank water nice and clean, and give him time.

Congrats on the new pictus!! I have one, and we love him!  I've always wanted to set up another tank for him and get a couple more :)

Yeah it should grow back, the stupid woman at the lfs said she knew best and used a net to get my 3 out, one of them ended up with a broken whisker and the flesh missing off a pectoral fin exposing the bone. I put it into a hospital tank and half dosed with disease clear for a few days then put back into the main tank. It healed up perfectly.
I love mine, they are my most active fish.. I really have a soft spot for catfish

Really love pictus and am envious of yours! Wish I had room to house them, I had one for a few days before realizing there was no way I could keep him. Enjoy!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back