Pictus Alway Hiding?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sellwoc

Reaction score
I have a 350 litre tank with 3 pictus cats. The tank is quite well planted and has a large section of bog wood on the bottom. Also in the tank are 3 clowns, 3 balas and 4 angels. The question i have is , why do the cats always hide, together, under the bog wood. Even when feeding they only pop out, grab the food and scuttle back under the wood? having read the forum i was under the impression they were very active fish. Is this behaviour normal or are their tankmates stressing them out. ( none of the other fish seem to bother with them and the clowns like sleeping with them in the caves)

any thoughts greatly welcome.

I would say they could be stressed out, they are some of the most active fish I think ive ever seen in my life

Any ideas what might stress them out? They are fed well (cat pellets, algae wafers, bloodworm, brine shrimp) and all water test fine. Like i say noone seems to bother them and they don't fight with each other. They are very cool little fish and would just like to see them more in the open.

They are very active fish when they don't have a hiding spot. I think it is very normal for them to hide, it's what they like to do. This is probably because they are nocturnal. My two pictus fight like cats and dogs. One has its nice little spot under the driftwood which it defends to the death from the other which just swims back and forth frantically because it has nowhere to hide. I don't think these fish get along very well unless they are from the same group. I had the first one for a long time and I decided to get it a companion which proved fruitless cause the only interaction is the defense of the hiding spot. I'm still trying to think of something for the other catfish to hide in.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back